• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 steel penny alot going on

13 posts in this topic

I found this this steel penny 1943  with alot going on the reverse top left side of reverse it's something struck in or over it......it looks like it could be a error can someone help me identify this penny

20200613_054041.jpg

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Not an error. It's either damage of some sort or may even be Die Deterioration but can't say for sure as the picture is a little out f focus.

IMG_20200613_052651_EXP2.jpg

Your first question was about the upper left of the reverse now your questioning the lower right.

Not quite sure what your seeing but it is impossible to have a wheat leaf going both ways during the striking of the coin.

13 minutes ago, Brad adams said:

If u look bottom right u can definitely tell it got a wheat leaf both ways

I think it was struck one way and then the other....upper right is the lettering because bottom left u can see epluribus

I see a "woodie" effect on the reverse and nothing else. That could be a result of being re-plated - lots of the steel cents were reprocessed. If it was double-struck, it would be very distinct. Without better evidence I think you're suffering from Pareidolia, the brain's tendency to make up known letters and objects out of random patterns.

I kind of, might see something on the right wheat ear, but those pictures are terrible.  Can you post a picture of the reverse like the one you did of the obverse?

I just can't tell anything for sure from the blurry pictures.  From what I can see it looks like a lot of damage, wear and tear.  It would be much easier with a clear picture like your obverse picture.