• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 S penny possibly Bie

7 posts in this topic

It isn't a BIE, and I don't see any doubling or re-punching, but, to be totally honest, the pictures are just too fuzzy when I enlarge them. Most minor doubling is very subtle, and requires clear close-up pictures to identify accurately.

A BIE is a die Chip between the B & E which your coin does not show. As JustBob states, larger, clear photos with no reflectiofn are required to identify most DD.

Edited by Greenstang
Deleted copy

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Just for the record, and before anyone asks, NGC does not recognize minor die chips like that, though submitters send us plenty of 'em.

BIEs were hugely popular in the 1960s. There were books cataloging them, and there was even a club for enthusiasts. Just like so many minor coin oddities that resulted from the U. S. Mint's abysmal quality control during the 1940s-60s, these faded from popularity when accurate reference books on mint errors and varieties superseded the flood of wishful thinking guides that surrounded me as a kid in the '60s.

5 hours ago, DWLange said:

Just for the record, and before anyone asks, NGC does not recognize minor die chips like that, though submitters send us plenty of 'em.

BIEs were hugely popular in the 1960s. There were books cataloging them, and there was even a club for enthusiasts. Just like so many minor coin oddities that resulted from the U. S. Mint's abysmal quality control during the 1940s-60s, these faded from popularity when accurate reference books on mint errors and varieties superseded the flood of wishful thinking guides that surrounded me as a kid in the '60s.

You mean the market bubble for them went BIE-BIE? :insane:

• Member: Seasoned Veteran
On 6/10/2020 at 3:08 PM, VKurtB said:

You mean the market bubble for them went BIE-BIE? :insane:

That's pretty good. It's nice to see that you sometimes find fun here, too.