• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Theodore Roosevelt token/medal 1901-1909

7 posts in this topic

Dear all, Hello I'm Hyder from India.  I am having this  big Nikel token/Medal of former US President Theodore Roosevelt.  The legend has a spelling mistake and the miss-spelled name has a double-die error. Please let me know your expert opinion on its authenticity, and whether it has any good value. Thank you

20200317_161858.jpg

20200317_161928.jpg

Wow, that is a pretty big spelling mistake!  I can't tell you much about it, but it appears to be some sort of mass produced medal.  I was able to find other examples doing a google search so it appears to be pretty common.  Most likely mass produced cheaply in some country where English is not the primary language, my guess would be China.

If the misspelled name is pronounced phonetically, it suggests a difficulty encountered by native speaker of Japanese. Styling and execution of the portrait and reverse clouds also remind me of Japanese art work.

TR won the Nobel Peace prize for negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War, so this might be some sort of medal honoring him...?