• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter Rolls from bank
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Purchased 2 rolls of quarters today from bank. Both rolls uncirculated 2019 D Lowell MA. Should I re-roll them or bag them? Should I continue buying from this branch or another one? Thanks

Hi Modwriter,

the theory is you never dump coins you gone through in the bank that you're requesting coins from. the other thing is what are you looking for? the banks don't know what they are getting. it's a game of chance. if you're looking for the  quarter  with a "W" then you have to keep looking. 

welcome,

G

Hi G, I was hoping to buy a mix of multiple years of rolled quarters but they were all the same. I'm going to re-roll, save or sell on ebay. Thanks for the advice on not dumping where I buy. Lol.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:50 PM, Modwriter said:

Hi G, I was hoping to buy a mix of multiple years of rolled quarters but they were all the same.

Banks can't specifically request just new coins, or a specific issue.  They get whatever happens to be on hand at the Fed or the Armored car service when the order comes in.  This time you got two solid rolls of the same thing, but next time you might get a different issue, a mix of issues, or all old circulated pieces.  It is strictly luck of the draw. 

The armored car service also doesn't segregate the different coins, so they dump whatever comes in into the rolling machine, circulated or new coin returned by the banks and ballistic bags of new material from the Mint.  Say they have a bunch of circulated quarters being rolled and the hopper is getting low.  So they dump in a ballistic bag.  What comes out is all circ at first, then circ plus some new, them mostly new with some circ mixed in and then finally all new.

This is why at the first of the year you start seeing boxes of new coins being sold on ebay for three times or more their face value.  Evey year there are a lot of collectors who want to search boxes of the new coins, but getting them at the bank is hit or miss.  So the lucky ones whose banks do get them buy them up and put them on ebay for a quick profit.

Hi Conder, thanks for the info. The two rolls were all new 2019 D Lowell quarters. I have since learned that the W mint quarters are the hot item now and actually found one in my saved quarters. I was also able to put together 2 sets of 5. 2015 D and 2017 D. I will be buying more quarters from my bank soon.

Wow, to me, finding a solid roll of ATB quarters would be a “jackpot”. To each his own.  

It would be to me as well, if I was interested in ATB quarters.  I've seen two 2020 ATB quarters so far, both Weir Farm, one P one D.  I think I've seen one 2019, and haven't seen any 2018's yet.

The W minted 2019 quarters are selling at incredibly high prices right now. I joined the two Facebook coin groups. Have been watching auctions there and  googling EBay too. The Great American Coinhunt seems to be working out well for the Treasury. Found my old coin collection after recently moving and started researching on the internet.

2 hours ago, Modwriter said:

The W minted 2019 quarters are selling at incredibly high prices right now. I joined the two Facebook coin groups. Have been watching auctions there and  googling EBay too. The Great American Coinhunt seems to be working out well for the Treasury. Found my old coin collection after recently moving and started researching on the internet.

What are you calling incredibly high? I have purchased 3 of the W 2019 quarters in NGC MS66 and all three were quite reasonable. The 2020’s need some time to come back to reality. The prices are, err, umm, a little “batty”, or “Weir(d).”

Edited by VKurtB

I have googled W minted quarters and found an article stating they are selling for 100x face value. Looks like you made a great buy from NGC.

17 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I have googled W minted quarters and found an article stating they are selling for 100x face value. Looks like you made a great buy from NGC.

Well, yes, at the MS66 grade, I am paying pretty close to 100x face. Why? Because it’s worth it to me to have someone else do the work of finding and certifying these coins. If I were going for MS67’s, I couldn’t get a sniff for 100x. I bought the 3 I have on eBay but NOT at “buy it now” ask prices. I wait for auctions and pay far less. The Frank Church Wilderness one is a tougher coin to find at MS66 for some reason.

Edited by VKurtB

Thanks for the tips.Have you submitted coins to NGC for grading? I'm now thinking about a bulk submission for adjective grading. Im sure I can get MS66 but the $16/17 NGC cost for each is prohibitive. 

4 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Thanks for the tips.Have you submitted coins to NGC for grading? I'm now thinking about a bulk submission for adjective grading. Im sure I can get MS66 but the $16/17 NGC cost for each is prohibitive. 

Yes, I have submitted quite a few coins to NGC. At first, many grades I got were disappointing. Then I went through a phase where I was virtually always getting higher grades than I expected. Now we match each other’s opinions quite well. Trust the process. Since bulk grading is not really an option, (Elite Level only), the all in cost of sending coins in 10 at a time is $21 each at the Modern tier. When I can get already graded MS66 W mint ATB’s for around that... why would I do my own hunting?

You do have a point. If grading was less expensive, everybody would be doing it. I will save them for now in a zip lock bag. I have read to not store coins in paper rolls because of the acid content of the paper.

54 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

You do have a point. If grading was less expensive, everybody would be doing it. I will save them for now in a zip lock bag. I have read to not store coins in paper rolls because of the acid content of the paper.

If I were interested in holding them longer term, I would go for storage in plastic tubes, either the clear-ish round ones with screw caps, or the translucent polypropylene squared off ones.

I will look into the plastic tubes. I have seen them on the internet. I keep most of my other coins in the plastic medicine bottles or small bubble wrap envelopes. Thank you for your mentorship.

41 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

I will look into the plastic tubes. I have seen them on the internet. I keep most of my other coins in the plastic medicine bottles or small bubble wrap envelopes. Thank you for your mentorship.

They’re cheap and effective at keeping contaminants at bay.

Decided to go to the same bank yesterday and buy 2 more rolls of quarters. Same window but I guess I had purchased the last two rolls in that drawer last time. The teller went to the next drawer over and grabbed my rolls. Sure enough, two more rolls of 2019 D Lowell quarters in mint condition. The wrappers have been all NF Stringer & Sons. 

58 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Decided to go to the same bank yesterday and buy 2 more rolls of quarters. Same window but I guess I had purchased the last two rolls in that drawer last time. The teller went to the next drawer over and grabbed my rolls. Sure enough, two more rolls of 2019 D Lowell quarters in mint condition. The wrappers have been all NF Stringer & Sons. 

If I walked out my front door right now, I could be at NF String & Sons' loading dock in about 10 minutes, on foot. They're next door to my previous polling site where I voted up until this year.

Edited by VKurtB

Have you ever purchased coins from them? The armored car service that my bank uses probably uses NF String wrappers. From what I understand, my bank only accepts loose change, not rolls. I did notice a coin sorting tray behind the tellers.

53 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Have you ever purchased coins from them? The armored car service that my bank uses probably uses NF String wrappers. From what I understand, my bank only accepts loose change, not rolls. I did notice a coin sorting tray behind the tellers.

No, String does three things - 1) sell coin wrapping supplies, 2) sell coin wrapping machines, and 3) perform actual coin wrapping services for several of the 12 Federal Reserve Bank districts, and other commercial entities. 

Do they roll only new coins? That place must be a fortress if they roll all the coins. I'm amazed that coins are not damaged more with all the shipping back and forth from the mints.

43 minutes ago, Modwriter said:

Do they roll only new coins? That place must be a fortress if they roll all the coins. I'm amazed that coins are not damaged more with all the shipping back and forth from the mints.

No, R. F. String and Sons also rolls coins for many of the Pennsylvania banks that still offer coin-counting machines. It is a shrinking number. The shipping path is Mint to String in ballistic bags mounted on skids, and then rolled and boxed to the Federal Reserve banks to the commercial banks when ordered.

4 hours ago, VKurtB said:

No, R. F. String and Sons also rolls coins for many of the Pennsylvania banks that still offer coin-counting machines. It is a shrinking number. The shipping path is Mint to String in ballistic bags mounted on skids, and then rolled and boxed to the Federal Reserve banks to the commercial banks when ordered.

I wonder if coin collecting is dying. Money is going digital now. The younger generation doesn't want to count coins anymore. Just in the last week for me, paying cash, rounded up to the dollar at one place and wrong change was given at another. A cull quarter and maybe a couple of dimes worth keeping.

7 hours ago, Modwriter said:

I wonder if coin collecting is dying. Money is going digital now. The younger generation doesn't want to count coins anymore. Just in the last week for me, paying cash, rounded up to the dollar at one place and wrong change was given at another. A cull quarter and maybe a couple of dimes worth keeping.

Yup, life in 2020. Some people actually think coins are a COVID-19 infection vector. Amazing.

Why do coin suppliers sell multi-colored electrical tape? I purchased quarter coin tubes and 5 quarter lense holders from them and noticed the tape at their website. Also, an 1895 dollar coin was flagged as counterfeit on a Facebook coin group I follow. It was not graded. I think that is what gave it away.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:13 PM, Modwriter said:

Why do coin suppliers sell multi-colored electrical tape? I purchased quarter coin tubes and 5 quarter lense holders from them and noticed the tape at their website. Also, an 1895 dollar coin was flagged as counterfeit on a Facebook coin group I follow. It was not graded. I think that is what gave it away.

Yeahhhh, without maligning ALL Facebook coin groups per se, I think you’ll find a lot of bad info and bad people on many. I’ll never see any because Facebook is an “absolutely NO WAY” thing for me. That said, I do know some friends who have coin-specific FB pages because they are a business and feel they “have to”. I don’t have to and won’t. 

Heck, even my wife has a FB presence, and I STILL refuse to. 

I would not have Facebook if not for my wife and immediate family being on there. The auction system that the  Facebook coin groups use is terrible. I received my 5 quarter plastic lens holders today from Dave's and extremely happy with them.