• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doubled Die Reverse?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I’d like to think I’ve learned my lesson on DDO and DDR identification as I have posted a few in the past which I thought may be DD’s but were unfortunately not. No worries because I keep on searching and learning.  Here’s one that I found and would appreciate your input. As always, Thanks!

9CF61BBD-0DD3-435D-9C71-0AE8635396E6.jpeg

9C4D1639-A1BC-4F70-9751-387BAD24C56E.jpeg

393B24E0-4AAB-4B1F-BF1E-C8D80E04C3A4.jpeg

91F92FF2-3AAC-43FD-A21E-AB95109DDFA6.jpeg

5 hours ago, Kirt said:

Sorry, MD on this one.

I was comparing my coin to a photo of a certified 1983 DDR FS-102 I found online. Here’s a partial photo of the coin showing the doubling of the S and O. It just looked to me to be awfully close to the same thing. Not only the doubling but even the overall shape of the O. Thanks!

49CCD040-7B9B-44D7-9BB5-E5052155090E.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

MD, the flat shelf like relief tells all. 

Hey Coinbuf. Sorry for posting over you. I was typing my reply to Kirt while getting some scans done at the hospital and your text just popped up before I realized it as soon as I submitted that last pic. Thanks for your reply. 

I stand down.....  going to put this one to bed and one day..... HOPEFULLY ONE DAY..... I will find a Doubled Die. 👍

No worries, maybe this diagram that a member from ats posted will help you to understand the difference.  The real key is the height of the relief of both areas, MD is always lower than the die relief because the MD is caused by the die bouncing at the time of striking and thus doesn't receive the full striking pressure.  A true DD is in the die thus the doubled area is struck to the same relief as the primary design.  Its also important to note that in some cases it is possible to have both MD and DD.

MD VS DD.jpg