• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1817/14 Bust Cap Half Dollar

13 posts in this topic

Has die crack going through the coin from the tip of the coin through the head/hat  next to the E Down the coin next to the seven and out of the coin this is a official 1817/14 cap bust half dollar Anyone interested in enlightening me on my next move sell or keep on family horde I have 3 other different cap bust half dollar Coins have not been graded yeT

8F11F1C5-BB15-44D5-9BB8-332495BEF2A8.jpeg

39A4C997-6061-4E30-9EA9-E8068067A5DE.jpeg

F9CB9A32-9224-4AFD-9060-2E03497BACE4.jpeg

2587475C-F585-49F2-A8E4-465D2202E272.jpeg

Edited by Dustin Maples
Spell check

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your coin is not Overton-102 (or 102a), the 1817/4 variety. Compare your coin to the one in the pictures on the web site linked below. Pay particular attention to the relationship of the second "T" in "STATES," and the "I" in "PLURIBUS." Notice that on your coin, the right side of the "I" lines up with the left side of the "T." On the O-102, the center of the "I" is under the right side of the "T." Since only one reverse die was paired with that obverse die, your coin can not be a match.

Sorry :(

http://maibockaddict.com/1817-o-102-7-over-4-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml

Not a problem at all Just Bob! My Grand Dad would debate it with you however I won’t lol! Well then I was wondering how you feel what my coin is!? I’m in the mist of sending some of my coins in for grading to NGC I have more of these beauties amongst some other beautiful pennies an Chinese I’m a smig green in this huge coin collector world looking for a little knowledge an REAL honest options on some of my hidden horded antique collection I have I sure do appreciate your time

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Dustin Maples
Upload photos

I have a lot on my plate right now, but if you'll give me a couple of days, I will try to get attributions for those, or at least narrow it down as best I can. If you post another picture of the 1817 reverse right side up, so I don't have to keep tilting my head sideways, I'll try to get the Overton number for that one as well.

All of the dies used to mint Capped Bust Half Dollars have been identified, and are assigned identifying numbers (obverse dies) or letters (reverse dies). The die pairs, or "marriages," are given numbers, called Overton numbers after Al Overton, who wrote "Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836."  I have given the attribution challenge my best shot,and here is what I came up with:

The 1817 looks like O-111, R1. 1809 appears to be O-105, R2. 1813 is either O-102, R4, or O-104, R4. Those two varieties share the same reverse die. I am leaning toward O-102, due to the way the date looks. The 1819 is quite worn, but I think it is O-102, R2, which is actually an overdate - 1819/8.

If anyone sees where I made an error, please feel free to comment.

The "R" numbers above are the rarity numbers, listed in the table below.

Overton Bust Half Scale

I sure appreciate your time just BobI have a Lot if great Coins with errors an key dates I’m still green in this world but I’m making great progress to becoming a master CoinFacts pro I sure do appreciate ya takin the time to do that for me! How much you think they would go for at auction or raw!!