• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999-D penny doubled eyelid
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Sorry I'm on the eye ball's  for some reason. Thought this would be interesting. Idk just something to look at while hunting. 

20200527_094223.jpg

20200527_094512.jpg

Ok, I've seen that ridge in front of the eye before on some of mine. I chalked it up to a plating bubble. Let's see what the error experts say!

49 minutes ago, Kirt said:

Ok, I've seen that ridge in front of the eye before on some of mine. I chalked it up to a plating bubble. Let's see what the error experts say!

Kirt, I think you're right. But interesting though. 

Dumb question on plating bubbling - is there air under the lifted plating or does the zinc actually corrode and bubble?  Mostly wondering if one could take a toothpick or similar non-marring widget and poke at the supposed bubble to determine what it actually is?

And a second thought on this one - keep it, tag it and keep an eye out for similar.  If it's a die-related thing, the features will be identical.  If it's bubbling, they'll look different (I'm assuming anyway)...