• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could use some help identifying Silver Ottoman Coin

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone I was hoping someone could help me Identify what I am assuming is an Ottoman Empire Coin. I believe the faded symbol within the dotted circle is a Tughra, but I'm not sure. The coins are silver and around an inch in diameter they are paper thin. You can tell which coins are which based on the crack in one of them.

Silver an back.png

silver an.png

silver anc back.png

silver anc.png

Nice clear pics but unfortunately they're not much help. It *could* be a tughra; then again, it *could* be something else. It also looks like the first coin was either struck twice or it's a vise job.

Accurate weight (g, two decimal places) and diameter (mm) are going to go a long way toward helping ID these if they can be determined. If you can have a jeweler hit them with an XRF gun to confirm the composition, that would be even better.

I don't think that's a toughra, but with the photo quality and lack of other information, there's no point looking into it.