• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off-topic but of potential interest to those who want to send really high resolution coin photos.
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Can the human naked eye even SEE that depth ?  After a certain point, the increased resolution just isn't processed by our cones and rods.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

.....Uh...the article refers to data transmission rate of 44.2 Terabits/second over commercial optical (75km test distance), not image bit depth.

:)

7 hours ago, RWB said:

.....Uh...the article refers to data transmission rate of 44.2 Terabits/second over commercial optical (75km test distance), not image bit depth.

:)

And now you know why I am the Maxwell Smart of technology. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I have no "clew" as to the nature of this topic but I just wanted to say, looking back, that the continuing good-natured banter and camaraderie exhibited by the two of you is, as always, exceedingly lovely.  The Forum is very fortunate to have you as members and I know the community agrees. 👍

Banter?....Who was banntered? I was bantered by PCGS for being truthful. So were some others banntered about. Or are you talking about bantered roosters?

On 8/11/2021 at 8:06 PM, RWB said:

Banter?....Who was banntered? I was bantered by PCGS for being truthful. So were some others banntered about. Or are you talking about bantered roosters?

My error, sorry.  I mistook your Terabits for that tasty cajun treat, Trilobites. I can assure you I will try to be more cautious ⚠️ about what I post here going forward.  Carry on, gentlemen... -_-

On 5/25/2020 at 12:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

After a certain point, the increased resolution just isn't processed by our cones and rods.

True but images can be REALLY blown up to allow you to zoom in on tiny areas.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:19 PM, Conder101 said:

True but images can be REALLY blown up to allow you to zoom in on tiny areas.

Agreed.....as I understand it's not only pixel resolution -- like 1920x1080 HD -- but also things like bits or stuff like that.  I've noticed that some 1920x1080's I can blow up more without getting pixelated than other pictures which also measure 1920x1080.  Might have something to do with JPEG vs. PNG vs. GIF....and "raw" is always the largest file size, whatever raw is.

Information content of an image depends of multiple factors including how pixels are binned, pixel area and spacing, photon scatter, etc., etc. All of these are independent of file type and compression which also affects image quality and content.