• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading questions

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time! I was recently lucky enough to purchase an un opened tube of 2000 silver eagles, from an unopened mint sealed monster box (I cut the straps). I'm going to send them in for grading sinf the 70s have a great premium but I dont understand the grading fees. 

1. For declared value and standard submission under economy or modern is roughly 17 bucks. If the grade 69 or lower... great no harm done. 

2. For declared value over 3000 ide have to submit as express with a 60 dollar fee. 

If they come back as 70s I'm having an amazing rest of the year... but if they come back as 69 or lower I'm now out the price of the tube and have paid 4x the fee I would have if submitted under scenario 1. The ngc value of a 69 is 45.00 and a 70 is 4250!

I know obviously they all wouldn't come back as 70s and if even 1 comes back 70 I'll make a few hundred profit but it's the difference between 300 and 1200 for grading! 

If I submit as express and they grade as 69 or lower will I be charged a lower premium? Or will they just keep the extra and say sorry about your luck?

6 hours ago, Mc10139 said:

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time! I was recently lucky enough to purchase an un opened tube of 2000 silver eagles, from an unopened mint sealed monster box (I cut the straps). I'm going to send them in for grading sinf the 70s have a great premium but I dont understand the grading fees. 

1. For declared value and standard submission under economy or modern is roughly 17 bucks. If the grade 69 or lower... great no harm done. 

2. For declared value over 3000 ide have to submit as express with a 60 dollar fee. 

If they come back as 70s I'm having an amazing rest of the year... but if they come back as 69 or lower I'm now out the price of the tube and have paid 4x the fee I would have if submitted under scenario 1. The ngc value of a 69 is 45.00 and a 70 is 4250!

I know obviously they all wouldn't come back as 70s and if even 1 comes back 70 I'll make a few hundred profit but it's the difference between 300 and 1200 for grading! 

If I submit as express and they grade as 69 or lower will I be charged a lower premium? Or will they just keep the extra and say sorry about your luck?

you should take pictures and put them up here first.. you will save a lot of time and money. this group can tell you what you have and the about grade faster than sending them off to get grading. you may have some that aren't worth grading. good lucky. 

8 hours ago, Mc10139 said:

Potentially a lot of money involved. I would pose this question in the Ask NGC forum and do what they say.