• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Altered Surface
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, novice collector here. Sent in a batch of Morgan's and couple of Peace Dollars to get graded.. learned a ton..ok got one back with the caption..no slab..it says  NOT ENCAPSULATED  ALTERED SURFACE.. then gives s/n  ..ok question.. is this coin counterfeit?  And if so.. any coin detectives out there.. I have printed copies of the auction I purchased it at.. time and date.. ok..thanks over and out.. stay healthy.. peace

1892 fake grade #2.jpg

• Administrator

Hi, 

The coin is not counterfeit but has been changed in some way that alters its appearance (ie. chemical treatment, tooling). Coins that receive an "Altered Surfaces" determination are usually not encapsulated. 

19 hours ago, Ronnie @ NGC said:

Hi, 

The coin is not counterfeit but has been changed in some way that alters its appearance (ie. chemical treatment, tooling). Coins that receive an "Altered Surfaces" determination are usually not encapsulated. 

Hey thanks for that info. One thing.. I have no clue how to tell the surface is altered...I look at with my loupes..and it looks like the Eagle was stamped on top of the blank?? Hey you think NGC would want to use the coin in one of there courses they teach about coin grading? I would gladly just send it back..free shipping of course..lol... thanks.. 

9 hours ago, Rodent said:

Hey thanks for that info. One thing.. I have no clue how to tell the surface is altered...I look at with my loupes..and it looks like the Eagle was stamped on top of the blank?? Hey you think NGC would want to use the coin in one of there courses they teach about coin grading? I would gladly just send it back..free shipping of course..lol... thanks.. 

If you "have no clue how to tell the surface is altered," then I suggest holding onto the coin, and comparing its surface to the surfaces of many more coins over the coming months and years. I bet you will be able to have more than just "a clue" in a relatively short time, if you are diligent about looking and learning.