• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going to my first show in June

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking to buy gold coins, and you have a $100 to spend, your options will be limited, but you still have some choices. There are half gram and one gram coins available, minted by Australia, China, Mongolia, and other countries. You may also be able to find 1 gram gold bars by Engelhard, Credit Suisse, etc.

While you are there, take a look at some ancient coins, check out some Early American Copper, or Conder tokens, and look through a few reference books. It can be a real learning experience, if you take the time to browse look around.

Have fun!

You might be able to find a 1/10th ounce American Eagle for around $100, the melt value of just about any other US gold coin is above the $100 number.  I'm wondering what coin show your going to as all the large shows are currently canceled; a very small local show?

On 5/2/2020 at 6:21 PM, Coinbuf said:

You might be able to find a 1/10th ounce American Eagle for around $100, the melt value of just about any other US gold coin is above the $100 number.  I'm wondering what coin show your going to as all the large shows are currently canceled; a very small local show?

With gold at $1700 (roughly) a 1/10th oz AGE is about $170 for melt. If it's a bullion strike and not proof or in some collectable box from the mint I think you'll still be looking at about $175 or above at normal times but premiums have been insane lately and that might push it to $185-190. 70-Graded examples on eBay seem to be listing for about $215-240 these days.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:15 AM, Frank C. Mclaughlin said:

Over this quarantine I have bit hard by the gold bug and there's no looking back. I'm hoping for feedback on where to find value and how you spend a $100 bucks? 

Does it have to be gold? When I started down this road about 12 years ago I collected a lot of modern silver 1 ounce bullion coins (NCLT). They remind me of my grandfather's silver dollars from when I was little. They're cool. You can get lots of different designs and series from all over the world... The Chinese Pandas, the Australian Koalas, Kangaroos, Kookaburras, the Mexican Libertads… all fun coins - and Silver is $14-16 an ounce lately.

1 minute ago, Frank C. Mclaughlin said:

No, not with my budget @Revenant. Silver does go much further. I'm in it for the long run.

Funny thing is silver is also about half the density of gold. So a 1 oz silver coin is almost twice the volume of a 1 oz gold coin. People usually point to this as a major weakness of silver as an investment in that it takes too much space to store very large sums (weights) of cash equivalent. but the coins are just a lot bigger and fun to hold in your hand in my opinion. A 1/4th oz gold coin - worth about $425 melt - is about the size of a nickel.