• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pcgs world coins

27 posts in this topic

Ngc should allow pcgs world coins into the registry . The ngc custom set on another platform is ridiculous. I have 2 of the best Oceania coins in existence . They are pcgs and will remain as such . I would love to use them .

Edited by Sir Shep III

Questions to the OP;

1. Why SHOULD they allow certified coins from a competitor? I can see no way they would benifit.

2. Why do you have such an itch to add coins to a NGC registry that would naturally fit into a PCGS registry?

3. Does it truly make that much difference to you? 

16 hours ago, Sir Shep III said:

Ngc should allow pcgs world coins into the registry . The ngc custom set on another platform is ridiculous. I have 2 of the best Oceania coins in existence . They are pcgs and will remain as such . I would love to use them .

You could try to cross them to NGC holders. This would not only confirm that they ARE the best but would also allow you to enter the NGC registry. Keep in mind that NGC has been recognized as the go to certification company for world coins for years.

16 hours ago, Sir Shep III said:

I have 2 of the best Oceania coins in existence .

Can you tell us which coins these are?

Only way to get them into an existing set here will be to cross them. If they are rare with few graded or are unique and are not already in an existing set you might have trouble getting slots and/or sets for them anyway, even if they were crossed. Nothing wrong with leaving them in PCGS holders and making a custom set. There is still awards and competition in custom sets, just not the visibility. 

NGC is the top TPG in world coins IMHO.

On 4/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, Moxie15 said:

Questions to the OP;

1. Why SHOULD they allow certified coins from a competitor? I can see no way they would benifit.

2. Why do you have such an itch to add coins to a NGC registry that would naturally fit into a PCGS registry?

3. Does it truly make that much difference to you? 

There is no reason for NGC to allow a PCGS coin in their registry.  It's what some collectors want but I don't see that it drives any revenue and that's ultimately what the registry is about, for both NGC and PCGS.  The whole purpose of the set registry is marketing and it's been successful in accomplishing its objective.

On your last question, apparently it does to many.  In world coinage, I have never understood why winning an award when almost no one is competing is meaningful, especially when most of the sets are still comprised of common coins where there is limited to no practical difference between the highest graded examples.  With US coins, same principle but at least there are generally a meaningful number of participants.

4 hours ago, World Colonial said:

On your last question, apparently it does to many.  In world coinage, I have never understood why winning an award when almost no one is competing is meaningful, especially when most of the sets are still comprised of common coins where there is limited to no practical difference between the highest graded examples.  With US coins, same principle but at least there are generally a meaningful number of participants.

With so many series /categories there's only 2-3 at the top that are in any way in the running for the top spot and I think it can be fun to "trade shots" and compete with another person for the top spot if you have serious competition from at least one person. There can at least be some fun / joy in the competition at that point anyway if you're into that sort of thing. It can even be quite friendly and you can swap messages and chat over the years about the series and joke about hating each other for scoring a big upgrade or something. When there's just one person at the top and they have no serious competition? I can't believe most people find that very rewarding to crow about.

But... there are those we've all seen over the years that attach (IMO) far too much importance to it and like to think it means more than it does.

My 10G set is easily the top in the registry. However, I'd be shocked if there aren't at least 1-5 sets out there, graded, that could easily beat mine. Probably more like 10+ or 20+. They just aren't on the registry.

My questions were meant for Sir Sheep.

I know and understand the reason people compete in the registry set.

To paraphrase Mathew Quiqqly... I said I have no use for them not that I did not know how to use them.

1 hour ago, Moxie15 said:

To paraphrase Mathew Quiqqly... I said I have no use for them not that I did not know how to use them.

Good movie.

12 hours ago, Revenant said:

With so many series /categories there's only 2-3 at the top that are in any way in the running for the top spot and I think it can be fun to "trade shots" and compete with another person for the top spot if you have serious competition from at least one person. There can at least be some fun / joy in the competition at that point anyway if you're into that sort of thing. It can even be quite friendly and you can swap messages and chat over the years about the series and joke about hating each other for scoring a big upgrade or something. When there's just one person at the top and they have no serious competition? I can't believe most people find that very rewarding to crow about.

But... there are those we've all seen over the years that attach (IMO) far too much importance to it and like to think it means more than it does.

My 10G set is easily the top in the registry. However, I'd be shocked if there aren't at least 1-5 sets out there, graded, that could easily beat mine. Probably more like 10+ or 20+. They just aren't on the registry.

It just depends upon what motivates someone in their collecting.  I don't see that registry competition has much of anything to do with collecting at all. 

There isn't a competitive set for most of coins I collect.  But even where there is, I have no interest in "winning" if my set doesn't deserve it.  It's fake and the equivalent of winning a "participation trophy".

The biggest impact has been on inflating the price level.  It doesn't really make much difference with US coinage because any coin which most collectors can afford to begin with is common enough where they can buy what they want anyway.  They will just buy a slightly lower quality one.  There are almost always dozens, hundreds, thousands or even more that are essentially identical.

6 hours ago, World Colonial said:

There isn't a competitive set for most of coins I collect.  But even where there is, I have no interest in "winning" if my set doesn't deserve it.  It's fake and the equivalent of winning a "participation trophy".

At the same time, I feel like that's one of the things that makes the major awards over here so much fun, because many / most of those are given based on the work that's gone into the set, the presentation and the love shown for the set and the subject, rather than just tank fights for points.

3 hours ago, Revenant said:

At the same time, I feel like that's one of the things that makes the major awards over here so much fun, because many / most of those are given based on the work that's gone into the set, the presentation and the love shown for the set and the subject, rather than just tank fights for points.

Mostly, anyone can buy their ranking if they have the money.  This is true of practically all US competitive sets and at minimum most western world coinage dating back to the late 1700s.  For the overwhelming majority, it doesn't take much work, unless by this someone has in mind looking for minimal differences in actual quality. 

By my standards, I'd consider four 20th century US regular issues (proofs and business strikes) rare with a few more scarce where it will take maybe up to a month to find a quality example.  The rest can be bought literally at any time, even those which most US collectors presumably think it scarce.  This coinage and world NCLT is where the bulk of the registry sets exist and none are difficult to compete for a top tier registry ranking, except due to lack of money.

I'm not that old but I'm older than you from your prior comments.  Maybe I hold this opinion because I remember when what are now otherwise common but (near) condition census coins being viewed for what it actually is as a collectible. Nice but not rare, not "investments", and not what current consensus opinion claims it to be.

19 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

I'm not that old but I'm older than you from your prior comments.  Maybe I hold this opinion because I remember when what are now otherwise common but (near) condition census coins being viewed for what it actually is as a collectible. Nice but not rare, not "investments", and not what current consensus opinion claims it to be.

I don't think that view of things is as dead as you think .There are plenty of people (I think) that reject the guidance of "buy the best you can afford" and, instead, buy the highest grade they can before a significant price increase / buy where they think they get the greatest value.

Of course, there was a while there where I kept seeing articles about how "Millennials" don't care about things and acquiring "stuff" at all and would rather spend their money on experiences and vacations. My wife follows that model.

3 minutes ago, Revenant said:

I don't think that view of things is as dead as you think .There are plenty of people (I think) that reject the guidance of "buy the best you can afford" and, instead, buy the highest grade they can before a significant price increase / buy where they think they get the greatest value.

Of course, there was a while there where I kept seeing articles about how "Millennials" don't care about things and acquiring "stuff" at all and would rather spend their money on experiences and vacations. My wife follows that model.

It's not dead among mainstream collectors.  I don't think most collectors care about this marketing hype since it adds little if anything to their collecting experience.

What I described is certainly the preferred and promoted view by the industry and at minimum, a noticeable proportion of the higher budget collector base.  "Collecting" would be a lot less profitable and the most valuable collections would lose a lot of value without the current price structure.

1 minute ago, World Colonial said:

What I described is certainly the preferred and promoted view by the industry and at minimum, a noticeable proportion of the higher budget collector base.  "Collecting" would be a lot less profitable and the most valuable collections would lose a lot of value without the current price structure.

Yeah... but... They're tiny. Half the US doesn't have $500 saved for an emergency. The high end collector's market is what? 10,000-20,000 people?

13 hours ago, Revenant said:

Yeah... but... They're tiny. Half the US doesn't have $500 saved for an emergency. The high end collector's market is what? 10,000-20,000 people?

Probably something along your numbers.  In the past, I have estimated 2MM active US based collectors but it's a total guess.  Going by the Heritage archives, maybe 10,000 who have bought coins valued at $10K or above at least once, though this may include a noticeable proportion who are more "investor" than collector.

To clarify my prior comments on the registry, I'm not knocking it though I know that's how my comments come across.  I just recognize it for what it is, a marketing tool for the TPG to drive submission volume and nothing else.  It's not really relevant to most collectors if my estimate that more than half have annual budgets below $500 is a reasonable approximation.  Most of my coins are in TPG holders (primarily NGC) and if I ever get a lot closer to completing my sets, I will consider creating a Signature Set here to illustrate it, but not a competitive one even if it becomes available.

13 hours ago, World Colonial said:

It's not really relevant to most collectors if my estimate that more than half have annual budgets below $500 is a reasonable approximation...

For sure if the budget is 500/year competing is out of the question. But not sharing, I think. I really enjoy visiting both NGC and PCGS registries to see coins owned by other collectors in my areas of interest (not Morgans). That triggered communications with other collectors and good camaraderie. So I think they serve collectors even with modest budgets. The diploma is the least of the perks. BTW @World Colonial would love to see your coins in the Signature Set. I am positive you have some great pieces! Stay safe everyone!

9 hours ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

For sure if the budget is 500/year competing is out of the question. But not sharing, I think. I really enjoy visiting both NGC and PCGS registries to see coins owned by other collectors in my areas of interest (not Morgans). That triggered communications with other collectors and good camaraderie. So I think they serve collectors even with modest budgets. The diploma is the least of the perks. BTW @World Colonial would love to see your coins in the Signature Set. I am positive you have some great pieces! Stay safe everyone!

There isn't much in the series I collect included in either registry.  In other coinage, almost nothing that isn't available in the Heritage archives for viewing since they have sold a noticeable proportion of it at some point.  Most of the better coinage I collect and want to buy the most either isn't graded or the owner doesn't participate.

I'm not looking to buy much now but if more coins were graded and listed, the registry would be useful to contact the owner to try to buy it.  However, to my recollection, there are only seven date/denomination combinations (out of close to 100) in the two primary mints I collect in the combined population data that I would like to have an opportunity to buy.  Maybe slightly more in upgrades and maybe as many as 20 additional combinations where I know the coin exists in acceptable quality but not graded.  I already own most of the combinations listed in the combined TPG population data.

There are a few sets in the registry where we can't see the coin anywhere else but not many.  One is the Rudman Mexico gold royal escudo type set.  But otherwise, I probably see more on the PCGS forum, like your 1769 Mexico 1/2 grano and grano if I remember correctly that you own these two.

45 minutes ago, Abuelo's Collection said:

@World Colonial unfortunately I don not own a 1/2 grano. But that will change one day.

I must have you confused with another PCGS contributor.  I recall Stack's selling both coins in NGC MS-65 and thought one or both were posted on the forum.  Those are two I wouldn't mind owning myself but out of my price range.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:38 PM, Jade Collection said:

Hey OP, go on the PCGS forum and ask if they can allow NGC coins into their registry.

A question I frequently wonder about.  Before they let the US coins back in, oh the angst.  I was like PCGS was selling kittens and not puppies.  NGC was selling puppies and kittens.  Then one day NGC decided to only sell puppies after all.  And the outrage over it was immense.  It's not like they were drowning kittens, just not selling them.  And NO ONE ever complained about PCGS only selling kittens.  Only NGC deciding to only sell puppies.  One could still buy both.  

I started my registry stuff after the PCGS coins were removed from the world side, so I didn't feel the pain.  They really do things differently with grading (at least with what I collect), so I'm kind wishing they wouldn't do that.  I was a bit surprised about them letting PCGS back in on the US side, but once the whole ANA registry became apparent I understood what might have driven that sudden decision.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:35 PM, Sir Shep III said:

Agree the out of date Collector's Society platform is...suboptimal.  That said, NGC spent a crapton of money on a software upgrade and ended up suing the company for failure to perform or something along those lines (I don't know the status of the suit).  I'm going with, the custom/final upgrades were part of the casualties there.  

I have quite a few custom sets (most are obscured as they are for my own amusement) but they are still fun to put together, and I do think they will eventually get the upgrade treatment.  Hopefully.  I have one set in dreadful need of updating but I keep hesitating waiting to see if the upgrade happens.  

I'm curious, what are your two Oceania coins?  I went crazy awhile back going for the French overseas territories and have a few of them.

I am not in either camp when it comes to grading coins, in my case mostly Darkside & have a mixture of both. Frankly it is not really worth paying the fee to change them all over to one or another & so do not submit my sets for grading even though they likely would do some serious damage to the hierarchy of best sets in the Victorian silver & 20th Century copper and silver. Not so much an ego thing, but rather possibly of interest research-wise to others possibly.