• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question, no photos.

9 posts in this topic

I know that there is a 1959 wheat cent. 

Could the mint have struck a 1958 cent with a Lincoln Memorial reverse?

Reason why I'm asking is I've found one, and honestly don't have a clue if it's real or a fake. 

I'm not posting a picture of it until I have done research on it. 

Just want some honest advice and opinions. 

The picture is needed for honest advice and opinions that mean anything.

Until then, my opinion (which doesn't yet mean anything) is that it is almost surely faked or doctored.

The 1959 wheat cent(s) are counterfeit. You will not find one in a TPG holder (and if there is one out there I will still call BS)

The 1958 memorial cent makes no sense at all. There is no logical way that would have been made at the mint.

There is precedent for an "early release" of a design change, for example there are a small percentage of 1899-P dimes with the subtle reverse design changes implemented for 1900. However for such a radical change as the wheat to memorial reverse it seems so unlikely as to be impossible. It's either counterfeit or someone's garage creation.

It sounds like you are purposefully withholding images of it, which I don't understand.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:28 AM, Moxie15 said:

There is no logical way that would have been made at the mint.

Actually there is,  Same way a 59 could in theory have been struck with a wheat rev. or how 1992 cents were made with Close AM reverses.

19 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Actually there is,  Same way a 59 could in theory have been struck with a wheat rev. or how 1992 cents were made with Close AM reverses.

I would agree with you if...

1. The muled coins would have shown up in 1958, 1959, or 1960

2. There were several found from several different sources

3. Any of the grading services would grade them as authentic and back it up

Don't misunderstand me, I DON'T believe they are real, I'm just saying that IN THEORY it could be possible for such an error to occur, the dies were all at the mint and in use at the same time so a muling of a 58 with a Memorial or a 59 with a wheat rev could happen, but the chances of it happening are very very small.  There are a few cases of US coins with muled obv and reverse of the wrong years dies, but in almost every case the design change on the dies is very slight.  In those cases where it is a significant change there is usually some evidence of shenanigans going on.