• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please tell me what grade this nickel. it has a strange mint mark

22 posts in this topic

the "S" mint mark under my microscope look like it has doubling but what do I know... Can the mint mark have doubling without the date having it to?  aren't they done at the sametime? and if it has doubling does it increase the value significantly . 

The mint mark cannot have doubling because it is hand punched after the die is made. It can be Double Punched but hard to tell from that photo and even if it is, the value would not increase that much as there would be 10,s of thousands produced

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

Thank you.. that helps.. I am sorry but this is a chrome notebook which is a piece of junk.. so your saying it could be a repunched mint mark which aren't worth much? 

ok.. then this is where i need to get a second opinion. .. I will have a coin deal look at it with his eyes... there is definitely something funny with this mint mark.. thank you all for your help.. 

On the OP's post and picture. The coin has reflective surfaces so  you can not the picture at an angle you will shadow doubling.

Show a picture straight down at the mint mark with your micro 

20 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Just checked Variety Vista, there are no 1976S RPM recorded so chances are that your quarter is just a regular PF.

Come on a quarter that looks like a nickel has got to be special :-)

10 hours ago, Greenland said:

sorry for the 2 pic but i didn't want them mix's up.. you see there is something funny with this mint mark.. 

That same mint mark punch was used from 1974 to 1979. The punch had a defect in the upper inside curve. It also had slight doubling in the upper serif. By 1976, it was starting to show wear. (Remember, at this time the mint mark was still being punched into each working die.) By 1979, the mint mark was just a blob that vaguely resembled an "S."