• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what could cause this charcoal halo on this 2006 quarter

8 posts in this topic

We call that "toning." Something that sat in contact with the Cu/Ni surface long enough to tone it up in this unfortunate, unattractive, and non-value-adding way. Many substances could have done that; Cu/Ni can easily tone up dark.

Some toning is considered attractive; some isn't. I think very few people would pay US$0.26 for that coin because grey/black toning doesn't generally get a premium. Of course, you are not bound by anyone else's notion of attractiveness. Mainly I answered the thread just to offer you some vocabulary expansion on how we normally term that phenomenon.

I think it looks as if picked up off a motorcycle repair shop floor, not too good. My son behind me said he likes it and thinks its cool. See if you can sell it G, there's bound to be a 100 more people that perceive its looks just like you, and good luck!

I've seen them almost completely covered in that charcoal color. I toss them in the change jar. If someone out there finds them and can make a buck on it, it's fine with me!

My experience too - the statehood and later quarters show up with that charcoal toning with some regularity. Some are almost black.