• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should IGWT have been on the Morgan dollar?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This telegram - really a personal comment by Director Leech - suggests IGWT was not authorized on the new Bland dollar of 1878. What do readers think?

18910404 P IGWT should not be on silver dollar.jpg

There's a lot of time elapsed there, too. I'm sure you would have mentioned if there were more contemporaneous notes, but waiting a decade to comment on an "illegal[ ] insertion" seems odd.

"In God We trust", also written as "In God we trust", is the official motto of the United States of America and of the U.S. state of Florida. It was adopted by the U.S. Congress in 1956, supplanting E pluribus unum, in use since the initial 1776 design of the Great Seal of the United States.

The capitalized form "IN GOD WE TRUST" first appeared on the two-cent piece in 1864 and has appeared on paper currency since 1957. A law passed in a Joint Resolution by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84–140) and approved by President Dwight Eisenhower on July 30, 1956, requires that "In God We Trust" appear on American currency. 

I have a 1935 H Silver Certificate with 'the motto' on it but earliers didn't have it.

Edited by Alex in PA.

April 4, 1891 was the day that the competition to design new coins was announced. Perhaps this was part of a discussion about what had to be on those designs.

When the phrase “In God We Trust” was going to be placed on the $20 gold coin in 1907, President Teddy Roosevelt was against it (PDF):

“My own feeling in the matter is due to my very firm conviction that to put such a motto on coins, or to use it in any kindred manner, not only does no good but does positive harm, and is in effect irreverence, which comes dangerously close to sacrilege…”

That, from a president who was a Christian, a Sunday school teacher, and a … those days are long gone.

The Act of 1878 required the dollar to have the devices that were in use in 1837, but it probably didn't specify that no other inscriptions could be present.  The law in 1866 allowed for the use of the motto on any coin upon which it would fit at the discretion of the Director.  So I would say that the motto could legally be used if the Director decided to include it.   So Leech could have ordered its removal.

🐓:  This mean the guy who runs the "Post your most recent acquisition: U.S.," thread, who hasn't been seen or heard from in over a decade was nothing more than an acronym all along???

Q.A.:  Your guess is as good as mine.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

🐓:  This mean the guy who runs the "Post your most recent acquisition: U.S.," thread, who hasn't been seen or heard from in over a decade was nothing more than an acronym all along???

Q.A.:  Your guess is as good as mine.

Lou, (IGWT) , , passed away unexpectedly about 10 years ago QA.(shrug)

On 12/28/2021 at 1:55 PM, rrantique said:

Lou, (IGWT) , , passed away unexpectedly about 10 years ago QA.(shrug)

Terribly sorry to hear that.  He never knew how popular his thread had become: a virtual coin encyclopedia.  :facepalm: