• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Extreme Toning on a coin 1958 Washington Quarter

19 posts in this topic

Hi All, I have a 1958 Quarter with the most extreme toning I have ever seen on a Coin.

This coin outshines the PCGS Hologram on the Holder. It almost looks Comical, like it belongs at a Children's museum.

Wildest toned Quarter I believe in Existence. What do you think of this Quarter. 

Also, what is that gouge in Pluribus from.

PCGS graded it as MS66, what kind of Grade do you think NGC would give it.

Im thinking this kind of toning would add a lot of extra 000's to the coins worth.

s-l1600 (20).jpg

s-l1600 (27).jpg

Edited by NevadaS&G

Welcome to the forum.

I believe that is a die crack running through the lower part of PLURIBUS.

Although it is impossible to accurately grade from pictures, you did ask for an opinion, so here is mine: It looks to me like PCGS might have been a tad generous. I would call it a 65.

Mint set toning is not that uncommon on quarters of this era, so I don't know how much extra premium it would bring. Not much,I suspect. Still, a nice coin. (thumbsu

Hi Just Bob thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I agree that there is a lot of mint set toned quarters out there, but I just think this one is above and beyond anything I've seen. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! I think the toning could add a small premium (i.e., this coin selling for $100 as opposed to $35). One would only need to check completed eBay listings to confirm this. Looking over Heritage records, I found a 1958-D example with superior toning graded MS-68 (the highest grade achieved with only six at NGC) sold for $3737.50 with the BP. This coin likely caught the attention of color seekers and registry competitors because it is a top pop, which drove the price up. Your coin is pretty average in so far as grade and therefore would likely only capture the attention of color seekers. Your coin is attractive, but the $7,729.58 buy it now price you have this listed for is obnoxiously optimistic to put it politely. 

(thumbsu You definitely do your homework. The price is rather negotiable and indeed it would capture the color seekers. I could definitely see this coin on display at a Museum inside an Interactive Display hence the high Premium. I'm imagining a kid pressing a button hearing about when NASA was established and the invention of the Hula Hoop, TV shows like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Have Gun will Travel, and the Rifleman (Better Times).

Here's another look at the hologram and then the coin.

354.jpg

Edited by NevadaS&G

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to be honest that splotchy toning is not attractive to my eye at all.  I have no idea what NGC would grade it as but I very much doubt it would be graded any higher than it is now.  Going from @coinsandmedals post I'm assuming that you have this listed on ebay for an outlandish price; nothing new on ebay as there are tons of way over priced coins that sit and sit and sit.  99% of the buyers that will spend that type of money will expect the coin to have a + or a * and will do the homework and know just how way overpriced you are.  If you are able to find that one uninformed buyer and fleece them I'm sure that you'll be happy, unfortunately its this this type of unsavory sale that is killing the hobby imo.

I've never sold a coin, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm curious if you actually want to sell it, or if no one wants to give you moon money, you're fine with just keeping it. My recent anecdote along these lines was also a Best Offer coin, MS63. Seller's price, $425, exactly what the price guide says at that other TPG, which is always inflated. I did my research, recent sales and all that, and offered $325. The seller responded with how special the coin is, they think it would be MS64 and they just haven't gotten around to a resubmit, etc. I honestly thought it was a bit ugly, but it was a variety that I was interested in. He countered, so I countered with $350. He rejected.

Here we are, almost 6 months later, and that coin is now $300 and Best Offer. I'm not really interested in it anymore. He could have gotten $350, and now there it sits. The same principle applies to real estate. If you really want to sell it, price it right to begin with. You only get one chance to grab people who are hot to buy.

I can totally relate to your story @kbbpll this past week I offered just over the last six auction results on a  coin the seller has priced 4X guide.  His reply was quite funny as "he knows the market for this coin"  blah blah then proceeds to counter just over guide which is inflated.  I recountered a few bucks over my offer and he declined, I have no doubt that if he chooses too that coin will be listed forever.  Some sellers seem to use coins like that as advertisements or are happy to fish endlessly for that one fish.

Yes I am looking for a buyer from outside the Coin Collectors Realm........then the value is 25 cents and you wasted money having it graded 

Can you post a photo of the label and curious how much you think you could hook a guy for 

Edit never mind I found it on eBay best of luck I hope it sells 

Edited by B.C

20 hours ago, NevadaS&G said:

Yes I am looking for a buyer from outside the Coin Collectors Realm.

Which is a sanitized way of saying you're looking for Chumpy McChumperson. It's okay. You wouldn't be the first person to throw it out there for a mint and hope for an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

10 hours ago, B.C said:

Can you post a photo of the label and curious how much you think you could hook a guy for 

Edit never mind I found it on eBay best of luck I hope it sells 

Why would you hope that someone gets taken to the cleaners?

Should list it on etsey instead of eBay. Their the ones have have all the ridiculously priced coins listed that try to sell to the rubs. At least eBay have more intelligent buyers that would just ignore that listing.

Naysayers & Purist's , I think the Quarter is Tops, and might get the younger crowd into Coin Collecting. That's something that's desperately needed. I welcome all new Millennial's and Generation X's to start Coin Collecting whatever their tastes are.

The baby boomers want us interested so they can cash out we are interested but as you pass away we buy for cents on the dollar 

This thread has me shaking my head. We need to be better than this.

Yes, it's expected that we try to make a profit when we sell. Yes, it's expected that we should look for bargains when we buy. Good business ethics dictate that we should do both fairly and with respect for the person on the other side of the transaction.

Edited by Kirt