• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964-D Peace dollar obverse photos

9 posts in this topic

The hub has raised relief. One cannot "grind off" the date on a hub, then replace it. If a digit is removed from the hub, then it must be used to make a new master die, then the replacement digit cut into the master die. This, is then used to create a new hub with the changed digit -- as in 1968.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The hub has raised relief. One cannot "grind off" the date on a hub, then replace it. If a digit is removed from the hub, then it must be used to make a new master die, then the replacement digit cut into the master die. This, is then used to create a new hub with the changed digit -- as in 1968.

I believe that's what I wrote. Is there some misunderstanding?

As for the 1964-D dollars, I believe that all were destroyed. Roger covered the coins' fate in his book on the series.

I think is was just the way "master hub" was used at the beginning that was confusing.

So that members are clear: Working dies (incuse) to make coins are struck from an annual master hub (relief). An annual master hub is pressed from an annual master die (incuse) into which any date changes have been cut. [In most instances, modern die making no longer follows this sequence.]

On 1/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Do you guys think any 1964-D's got out ?

I don't.  I think if one had, it would have shown up in a country that isn't the U.S. by now.  There'd be way too much of an incentive for someone to try to sell it outside of U.S. jurisdiction for it to be hidden this long, I'd say. 

On 1/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Do you guys think any 1964-D's got out ?

Impossible to know until one is presented for careful, full examination. The planchets were tracked by weight and that means a change of the third decimal place alters the number of pieces melted. With no physical count, the quantities produced or melted will be forever unknown.

[@RWB I just received a notification that your comment, dated yesterday, was posted 20 minutes ago. That's impossible!  In New York City it's only an hour and fifteen minutes to midnite, and Tuesday, January 11th. Where are you posting from?  [Rhetorical rant; no reply needed] I am living proof that the Twilight Zone exists!