• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Variety Plus?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I had a question referring to what is variety plus. If a variety is not in the variety plus catalog when sending out to be graded, but in the census, do I still mark as variety plus? The ones I am referring to are Mexico 1977 or 1978 100 pesos DDR, Mexico 1982 libertad DDR #2 and Mexico 1933/2 peso.

I am new to NGC . I have had bad luck with them due to the lack of know how when it comes to filling out the submission form properly. I sent my first coin a 1959 D a first year memorial issue thinking it would come back with that designation on the label. I was wrong. I am afraid to send my coins that may be varieties like the 1960 small date or the 1960 large date because it will not be designated as such on the label. I am afraid to send my possible mint error coins because they to will not be designated as such on the label. Likewise with any that may have doubling or any other peculiar things. Other examples are the 1982 large date, the 1982 small date. Other first year of issue like my 2020 American Eagle dollars. 

5 hours ago, James P. ONeill Jr. said:

I am new to NGC . I have had bad luck with them due to the lack of know how when it comes to filling out the submission form properly. I sent my first coin a 1959 D a first year memorial issue thinking it would come back with that designation on the label. I was wrong. I am afraid to send my coins that may be varieties like the 1960 small date or the 1960 large date because it will not be designated as such on the label. I am afraid to send my possible mint error coins because they to will not be designated as such on the label. Likewise with any that may have doubling or any other peculiar things. Other examples are the 1982 large date, the 1982 small date. Other first year of issue like my 2020 American Eagle dollars. 

An email or phone call to NGC would probably connect you with someone who would help walk you through the process or answer any questions you might have.

7 hours ago, James P. ONeill Jr. said:

1-800-NGC-COIN (642-2646) or 1-941-360-3990.

When I click on the VarietyPlus link for Venezuela there is only one variety listed:

1872 TACHIRA STAR UNDER DENOMINATION 2R MS. NGC Attribution: TACHIRA STAR UNDER DENOMINATION

However there are a lot of varieties listed in the NGC census. Why?

Also, I have sent coins for variety designation and they have been returned as "NO VARIETY". There is no way of telling if a coin is not a variety or it has not been designated a variety. As an example, I have the following coins, all Venezuela 5B 1936

image.png.9ef7d12d502f37d6704ef323f5c31a8b.png

The NGC census shows three coins: 1936, 1936 HIGH 3 & 1936 LOW 3.

Questions:

1) Is a 1936 different from 1936 HIGH 3 & 1936 LOW 3 or maybe it has not been tested for variety.

2) Are there 3 different coins? Would the 1936 be a "1936 NORMAL 3"? If so, should it state this fact?

3) In general, in the Venezuela 5B census, there are several years that have a couple of varieties and then just the year. The 1924 census has 4 varieties and then simply 1924. Is 1924 a different coin or it has not been graded for varieties?

4) Is there a source where I can learn about the Venezuelan varieties?

THANKS!!!!

image.png