• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly acquired collection

3 posts in this topic

I have recently been given a lot of Irish coins from a lot of years, I have american, Australia, India, Greece France Germany , Nigeria and probably more. My father had been collecting coins and his father before him, I am learning as much as I can but I am looking for further advice so as to insure them if needs be. There is probably 2000 coins in total but getting info on there value isn’t easy

1 hour ago, Michael Geraghty said:

I have recently been given a lot of Irish coins from a lot of years, I have american, Australia, India, Greece France Germany , Nigeria and probably more. My father had been collecting coins and his father before him, I am learning as much as I can but I am looking for further advice so as to insure them if needs be. There is probably 2000 coins in total but getting info on there value isn’t easy

You can look them up in the NGC price guide, but bear in mind that those prices don't much relate to reality. I would recommend bearing in mind that most world coin collections that are mostly post-1940 and are mostly not precious metal are mostly not worth a great deal. Most world coins circa 1900-1940 meeting the rest of the descriptors are worth slightly more than very little. If you really want to find out what people pay for a given coin, identify it (might be worth buying the Krause catalog for a given century), then search for it under sold listings on Ebay. That will tell you what people actually paid for it. That datum is relevant; those in the catalogs are far less so.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:27 PM, Michael Geraghty said:

Hi,

I collect Indian coins and can help you in valuing Indian coins. If you want that, please send me a direct message.

Anand