• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monetary Hypocorisms

13 posts in this topic

Many of us have one or more hypocorisms. They’re neither contagious, nor fatal, although one might sometimes draw unwanted attention, or be inconvenient, or even inappropriate.  

What is a hypocorism?

It’s your nickname, pet name, or maybe an augmented or diminished form of a word.

In English we have many hypocorisms for money and monetary tokens. Money might be called “moola;” a ten dollar bill can be a “sawbuck,” and so forth.

How many American English coin and currency hypocorisms can members come up with?

Edited by RWB

The funniest one I've heard is "Alaska dollar" referring to a $100 bill. Because everything is so expensive up there. That hypocorism might be restricted to one friend though.

A "jitney" was a low fare taxi or bus; the price of the fare was a nickel. The nickel took on the name of the bus. A pocket full of jitneys would jingle, which allegedly gave rise to the name of a Jackson, Mississippi grocery store. The legend goes that, unfortunately, when the newspaper printed the first ad for the new company, the name was misspelled as "Jitney Jungle," rather than "Jitney Jingle."

It is a nice story but it isn't true. The name was picked, according to a family member of the founders, because " every Jitney would be a jungle of bargains that would save the customer a jitney on each quarter. "

Either way, the name stuck, and the store became a regional chain.

JitneyJungle.jpg

Edited by Just Bob
Added picture

18 hours ago, RWB said:

Many of us have one or more hypocorisms. They’re neither contagious, nor fatal, although one might sometimes draw unwanted attention, or be inconvenient, or even inappropriate.  

What is a hypocorism?

It’s your nickname, pet name, or maybe an augmented or diminished for of a word.

In English we have many hypocorisms for money and monetary tokens. Money might be called “moola;” a ten dollar bill can be a “sawbuck,” and so forth.

How many American English coin and currency hypocorisms can members come up with?

I never knew what these were called. Learned something new. Thanks!

My maternal grandmother told us kids that if we swallowed watermelon seeds, they would sprout in our stomachs and grow out our ears. Then we'd have to go around with little watermelons dangling from our heads.  I guess that kept us from eating too many seeds on July 4.

But....if I swallowed a Grand Watermelon note, would it's seeds sprout and grow $100 watermelon notes out my ears?

Edited by RWB

On 1/16/2022 at 12:40 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Double Eagles ($20 coin)...Eagles ($10 coins)...and so on for 1/2, 1/4 Eagles..

No those are the actual names for the denominations as set forth in sec 9 of the Mint act of 1792. and the Coinage act of 1849 for the Double Eagle

SEC. 9. And be it further enacted, That there shall be from time to time struck and coined at the said mint, coins of gold, silver, and copper, of the following denominations, values and descriptions, viz. Eagles—each to be of the value of ten dollars or units, and to contain two hundred fort-seven grains and four eighths of a grain of pure, or two hundred and seventy grains of standard gold. Half eagles—each to be of the value of five dollars, and to contain one hundred and twenty three grains and six eights of a grain of pure, or one hundred and thirty five grains of standard gold. Quarter Eagles—each to be of the value of two dollars and a half dollar, and to contain sixty one grains and seven eights of a grain of pure, or sixty seven grains and four eights of a grain of standard gold.

From the Act of 1849

Double eagles, each to be of the value of twenty dol­lars, or units