• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2001 d nickel/cooper
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, so I put the penny's to the side and focusing on nickels for  a bit. Well I know to keep the war nickels for defentally . Also searching for  the 39 d and 50 d. I feel I can't pass this nickel up when it sure looks like cooper. I did some research and found 2001 d nickel cooper is common. That the rare is on a cooper penny planchet that weighs 3.1. So I understand what to look for, but what do you do when you come across these. I'm thinking cooper plated, it just turn this way through heavy circulation. I posted a other one in here ,but noted it just environment damaged. Can anyone help direct me the right direction on nickels that look brown or black. Because when it's just plated on nickels ,the tarnish is brown or black. When there black I'm automatically thinking silver ,but get bum out because it not. And if its brown,  already thinking cooper but it's not. I'm just confused trying to understand better. Thanks 

20200205_165114.jpg

20200205_164942.jpg

So nickel is a misnomer; it's technically cupronickel - 3 parts Cu one part Ni. That's why it isn't magnetic. It's also why coins tone; copper is reactive. The different colors of toning are caused by exposure to different proportions of other elements in the environment. Black nickels were the subject of another thread; they're caused by reactions in anaerobic conditions.

1 hour ago, Kirt said:

So nickel is a misnomer; it's technically cupronickel - 3 parts Cu one part Ni. That's why it isn't magnetic. It's also why coins tone; copper is reactive. The different colors of toning are caused by exposure to different proportions of other elements in the environment. Black nickels were the subject of another thread; they're caused by reactions in anaerobic conditions.

Thanks kirt, so basically I'm looking for the one's on cooper planchet. And basically when in environment they tone and get all wacky. I've came across a few black nickels ,but know they were damaged or say corroded. Cool, I learn something new every day. 

The only way a nickel would be on a copper [not cooper] planchet is if it was struck on a cent planchet.  If struck on a cent planchet it would be smaller and thinner than a regular nickel.

Edited by l.cutler

On 2/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, Hinkle said:

Thanks kirt, so basically I'm looking for the one's on cooper planchet. And basically when in environment they tone and get all wacky. I've came across a few black nickels ,but know they were damaged or say corroded. Cool, I learn something new every day. 

Well, I've never seen one so not much help. I tend to weigh each coin almost by rote as I get it; nickels weigh 5 grams. Cents weigh either 3.1 grams or 2.5 grams. If I had a nickel that looked "off" in tone or thickness, the weight would tell me if it was a possibility of being struck on a cent planchet.

Another easy way to tell with post '82 - the zinc core would likely have been exposed and probably started to corrode.

Edited by Kirt