• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 Penny Questions

11 posts in this topic

This coin has such a high gloss color to it and is not the same copper color any of my other coins. Has anybody ever seen anything like it, or can tell me why this coin looks like this? I tried researching and did not find anything. Thanks in advance!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200127210422792_COVER.jpg

IMG_20200127_211445~3.jpg

Looks like it's been plated with something. It wasn't born that way; I've seen a few over the years. It is worth its melt value, which is more than one cent, but not that much more. The most common plating activity is cheap attempts to restore 1943 cents to a superficially beautiful-looking condition, or to make 44s look like 43s, or 43s like 44s. In this case, it was probably a high school science project.

Welcome to the Forum.

I agree.  Been plated with something.  You can see on the rims where it is starting to wear off. We see a fair number of these on here and other forums. Probably High School chemistry experiment. As it happened after the coin was struck, it would actually be classed as damage.

Edited by Greenstang

Thank you both for responding. I was wondering if it could have been played but wondered why someone would go through the trouble. I did weigh it when I found it and it weighs about the same as the others from that period.

I randomly found this thread and must say that it's probably some experiment for school. I did the same one recently and got such a result. Honestly, I'm not good at chemistry so I often use this source https://essays.studymoose.com/pay-for-papers to get help with some writing tasks. But the guys above were right and I even may try to find some way to remove it if you still need it.

Edited by charactermeant1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:18 PM, Mkioane said:

but wondered why someone would go through the trouble

Never underestimate the power of boredom. 

On 1/31/2020 at 4:30 PM, asdfgh said:

Back when I didn't know any better I would put mercury on pennies. Looks just like that. I didn't die so i guess I just lost a few brain cells.

We played with vials of mercury all the time and we have no dain bramage.