• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 Susan b struck on Sacajawea planchet

11 posts in this topic

It is also a proof.  With inspection, even a cursory inspection, I would hard to believe a wrong color wrong planchet would get through.  Of course if you are sure it is on a Sac planchet get an XRF test done on it, that would be diagnostic, or since it would be worth a lot if real send it to one of the TPG's.

Oh, and you have shown it next to an SBA, now show it next to a Sac dollar.

13 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I think it's just a plated gimmick coin.

I was thinking that at first but the plating or coating process would cover the cameo effect and be shinny across the full surface, I'll guessing just toned to that golden color.  But if you have the ability to do the testing that will be the way to tell.

Edited by Coinbuf

5 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

I was thinking that at first but the plating or coating process would cover the cameo effect and be shinny across the full surface, I'll guessing just toned to that golden color.  But if you have the ability to do the testing that will be the way to tell.

Yeah, I haven't found an exact match but other examples seem to indicate they can plate a cameo effect, like this Georgia quarter.

1999-usa-gold-plated-quarter-dollar_360_5ab7050a24118f7cb0aeeb077826dd22.jpg

I think the Georgia coin you show the cameo wasn't plated but rather covered during the plating process, notice the stems and lettering/date is plated but should be frosted.  Maybe a liquid mask or transfer paper was used to cover those areas, the details could be done that way but very time intensive.

Yes, I'm just speculating. But if the cameo effect with the silver portrait and gold background is accurate as pictured, it wasn't minted like that, so I don't know why the OP would conclude it's a Sacajawea planchet, other than seeing a $10k auction price somewhere. All we have is a topic title and some pictures. There are also gimmick coins with gold highlights and silver background, so it doesn't seem that expensive to produce. But who knows.