• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Grading

7 posts in this topic

The Coin Community will never reach the point of excellence these companies strive to achieve like PCGS & NGC...and of course you have ANACS until they figure out a solid foundation for a Coin-Grading system. It's a system that is polluted by bad judgement and human error which only hurts the customer. I don't think there enough members to have 2-top coin grading companies. I actually think it hurts the whole idea of 'growing' when it comes to the coin community. You can't have politics and expect something to succeed. This is what I see, if you live on the east coast you send your coins to NGC. If you live on the west coast you use PCGS. And if your broke and don't care one way or another on the value of your coin, you send it to ANACS. I'm not knocking ANACS, I'm just calling it like I see it. Yeah they are the cheapest, and your basically wasting your money by using their service. What do you mean? It's simple, their coins don't hold the value that NGC and PCGS holds. And if that's true, why use them? It seems pointless. Which brings us to NGC and PCGS, there basically the same, so why not combine and make things easier on everyone. I'm sorry for sounding negative I just see so much potential and nothing being done. If it's about the hobby and not the money, can't we put egos to the side...? 

On the contrary, competition is good for the consumer. *If* NGC and PCGS combined to form one company, they could charge whatever they wanted for grading and you'd have to pay it, as you'd have no alternative. That $17 Modern tier could easily be $60 tomorrow if there were no competition. As it stand now, PCGS and NGC can't raise prices too much because then everyone would just use the other (cheaper) service, since both carry roughly the same premium when it comes time to sell. If anything it'd be nice to see a real third competitor enter the market just to help keep prices low and services competitive.

People have cheaper choices today and don't use them. They would rather pay PCGS prices instead of ANACS, and when they do, there stuck with a coin that nobody they can't sale. ANACS coins don't hold value like the other 2-grading companies. If they were smart and combined, they wouldn't raise prices, they would lower them. The wealthy use PCGS, that's the only reason it's on top, otherwise ANACS would have taken over because of there cheaper prices. I think the grading scale is still to complex for most and needs changes. What do you think?

Yes I do, mostly raw but I do have some encapsulated also. I have "alot" of copper cents I'm trying to sale. I have 2017-P cents. I also have 2-quarters, one San Antonio and the other is Wilderness with the 'W' mint mark (raw, but thinking about sending them off for grading). I others...I'm more of a seller than collector so if I have what someone is looking for, more than likely they will get the best deal with me. I don't have a paypal, I use credit card. I have a home address if needed. Just let me know what you want to do...thanks. KCoins82

I told you what I had and you never said or told me anything. Until they figure something out that can be set in stone when it comes to grading. I'm guessing you know someone at one of these services? I totally agree with the credit card thing but if someone wants your information bad enough, there are plenty of ways to get it.

There actually is a difference in the grading companies, including ANACS on how they grade and what they grade. Two series I am familiar with NGC is much tougher on the FT vs FB designations on Roosevelt Dimes. Both NGC and ANACS are much more stringent on the FBL designation on Franklin Halves. 

I personally consider ANACS the leader in attributes in error coins.

Overall all three are vital to our hobby and much needed for effective success.