• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1817/3 capped bust.

4 posts in this topic

It looks like it would grade "cleaned" but it's still valuable enough to get slabbed I think. A VF Cleaned sold a year ago for $432 and many of the coins in the price guide here https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/capped-bust-lettered-edge-half-dollars-1807-1836-pscid-232/1817-3-50c-ms-coinid-16111 are Details.

Just in case you want to put some extra info on the coin flip's label: This variety is Overton 101a, the "a" signifying a later die state, after the die crack running through the "ME" of "AMERICA" had started. It is listed as an R2, which on the Overton scale means 501-1000 known.

Even though it isn't considered rare, it is evidently quite popular with collectors, as the auction prices linked by kbbpll would indicate.

Cleaned? Probably, but I like it.

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Just in case you want to put some extra info on the coin flip's label: This variety is Overton 101a, the "a" signifying a later die state, after the die crack running through the "ME" of "AMERICA" had started. It is listed as an R2, which on the Overton scale means 501-1000 known.

Even though it isn't considered rare, it is evidently quite popular with collectors, as the auction prices linked by kbbpll would indicate.

Cleaned? Probably, but I like it.

Awesome! Thank you very much.