• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 d jefferson. ful steps on this? dpm?

7 posts in this topic

Check the obverse for the DDO - seems like you might have something going on in the Y and star. The MM looks identical to the 1944-D FS-501 - odd.

9 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Check the obverse for the DDO - seems like you might have something going on in the Y and star. The MM looks identical to the 1944-D FS-501 - odd.

That is weird. didn't notice they are identical except for the crack.

WIN_20200116_17_30_07_Pro.jpg

Not sure what you mean but yours has the same die crack from the E to the rim. One recently sold on HA (MS66FS) for $144 which also has the D/D. Interesting how they attributed the DDO but not the RPM.

Edit: I guess you were talking about the MM die crack. I am intrigued by the possibility that this is a 1944-D reverse die "retained for future use". There were a lot of retained reverse dies noted in the early 1900s die destruction records so I imagine they continued with that practice.

Edited by kbbpll

On 1/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, kbbpll said:

Not sure what you mean but yours has the same die crack from the E to the rim. One recently sold on HA (MS66FS) for $144 which also has the D/D. Interesting how they attributed the DDO but not the RPM.

Edit: I guess you were talking about the MM die crack. I am intrigued by the possibility that this is a 1944-D reverse die "retained for future use". There were a lot of retained reverse dies noted in the early 1900s die destruction records so I imagine they continued with that practice.

WOW! The knowledge you guys have is amazing. Is there a variety attribute number or something that I can put on the flip to have NGC research that? I guess rev 1944? Not sure where to begin to find that determination.

Sorry for misleading you. A "reverse die variety" is different. There wouldn't be any "Reverse of 1944" designation unless there was a noticeable design change between years and your 1945 was using the old design. If they reused a 1944-D FS-501 die in 1945, it wouldn't be that astounding and would be difficult to prove anyway. The D/D is such an exact match it just popped into my head that it might be a reused die. Coneca lists 56 RPMs for 1945-D but I have no idea how you'd track yours down for designation.

16 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Sorry for misleading you. A "reverse die variety" is different. There wouldn't be any "Reverse of 1944" designation unless there was a noticeable design change between years and your 1945 was using the old design. If they reused a 1944-D FS-501 die in 1945, it wouldn't be that astounding and would be difficult to prove anyway. The D/D is such an exact match it just popped into my head that it might be a reused die. Coneca lists 56 RPMs for 1945-D but I have no idea how you'd track yours down for designation.

Hmmm. Well I was planning on sending it with a group of coins that will definitely pay for it. I appreciate your help.