• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 d/d, almost full steps.

8 posts in this topic

That appears to be NGC VP-001 (Coneca listing RPM-004). Nice find. :applause:

As far as getting it graded: I don't think that it would get a "full steps" designation, nor would it grade very high, ( I am guessing MS63, assuming that isn't wear on Jefferson's head and on the portico)  but you may want to send it in to have the variety confirmed and put on the label. That is strictly your call.

5 hours ago, Just Bob said:

That appears to be NGC VP-001 (Coneca listing RPM-004). Nice find. :applause:

As far as getting it graded: I don't think that it would get a "full steps" designation, nor would it grade very high, ( I am guessing MS63, assuming that isn't wear on Jefferson's head and on the portico)  but you may want to send it in to have the variety confirmed and put on the label. That is strictly your call.

Ahh thank you very much.

Recent sales from greatcollections (for some reason they have separate categories for 42 & 46 D/D but not 44):

May 2018, MS64 = $293 (PCGS)

July 2019, MS63 = $45 (PCGS)

June 2018, MS65 = $59 (NGC)

Both of the top 2 had 1 bid apiece and the MS65 had 27.  So getting the right opening bid price set may be important.  The MS64 example is the most bright white of the bunch but the fields are messy on the reverse.  The MS63 coin is full of chatter.  The MS65 has the most eye appeal to me with a primarily problem free bust on the obverse and nice coffee toning around the rim on the reverse.  On the obverse the toning isn't as attractive but on a D/D nickel it's the reverse you'll be looking at the most.

The price on the MS64 is puzzling as I don't see anything outstanding about the coin.  Maybe it's top pop for PCGS?  ...... Nope.  Not even close if you consider the FS examples. (shrug)

This one's kind of a crapshoot on resale value but a good example on a relatively low overall population.

11 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Recent sales from greatcollections (for some reason they have separate categories for 42 & 46 D/D but not 44):

May 2018, MS64 = $293 (PCGS)

July 2019, MS63 = $45 (PCGS)

June 2018, MS65 = $59 (NGC)

Both of the top 2 had 1 bid apiece and the MS65 had 27.  So getting the right opening bid price set may be important.  The MS64 example is the most bright white of the bunch but the fields are messy on the reverse.  The MS63 coin is full of chatter.  The MS65 has the most eye appeal to me with a primarily problem free bust on the obverse and nice coffee toning around the rim on the reverse.  On the obverse the toning isn't as attractive but on a D/D nickel it's the reverse you'll be looking at the most.

The price on the MS64 is puzzling as I don't see anything outstanding about the coin.  Maybe it's top pop for PCGS?  ...... Nope.  Not even close if you consider the FS examples. (shrug)

This one's kind of a crapshoot on resale value but a good example on a relatively low overall population.

thank you for all the information. I really appreciate the time.