• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family ties to coins

12 posts in this topic

Very interesting and a great family connection ! Belongs in a real education display at a major coin show.

[PS: "... the longest continuous running tram in the world. " Great. How long is it? 10-cars, 50-cars, 1/2 mile...? Don't the horses get tired by running continuously? Would it be better on them if they trotted, or cantered, or maybe just "ambled?"]

:)

1 hour ago, RWB said:

Very interesting and a great family connection ! Belongs in a real education display at a major coin show.

[PS: "... the longest continuous running tram in the world. " Great. How long is it? 10-cars, 50-cars, 1/2 mile...? Don't the horses get tired by running continuously? Would it be better on them if they trotted, or cantered, or maybe just "ambled?"]

:)

It's a one horse power tram - not very efficient for mass transit, only one car, but there isn't all that many people living in the Isle of Man. It also does not travel,very far. Most people haven't even heard of the Isle of Man.

I haven't researched my genealogy back this far, but who knows -- maybe a connection to Manannan - The first King on Man. (Joke)

image.jpg

On 1/10/2020 at 8:40 AM, Zebo said:

It has the longest continuous running parliament in the world

Iceland also claims "the longest running parliament in the world" (the Althing, founded 940), but I suppose the key words are "continuous" versus "running". The Althing seems to have been discontinued between 1800 and 1844. Interesting stuff!

3 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Iceland also claims "the longest running parliament in the world" (the Althing, founded 940), but I suppose the key words are "continuous" versus "running". The Althing seems to have been discontinued between 1800 and 1844. Interesting stuff!

Yup - all in the phrasing I guess. Iceland is another interesting place. 

My family has been engineers in the oil and gas industry for the last 3 generations, so we don't get involved in things that get honored on coinage very often, but it was my grandfather's old silver dollars that get me interested in coins as a kid.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:40 PM, Zebo said:

The Isle of Man has a horse drawn carriage (tram) in Douglas that is the longest continuous running tram in the world. My great great great grandfather owned and operated the tram when he opened it for service in 1876. I've been collecting coins and documentation associated with the horse tram. I just acquired a crown depicting the 1963 Queen Mum visit to the island. Below are a few of the items in my collection. 

The Isle of Man is a self governing Crown Depenency of Great Britain. It is not part of the U.K. or the European Union. It has the longest continuous running parliament in the world and has its own currency - although it also accepts U.K. Currency. Queen Elizabeth II is currently the Lord of Man - this title was transferred to the British Monarchy, King George III, in 1765.

An interesting fact for the forum women - in 1881 the Isle of Man's parilment, the Tynwald, became the first national legislative body in the world to give women the right to vote in a general election, although this excluded married women.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  My family also owns a huge collection of coins. She will hand it over to me shortly. With the hope that I will continue to pass on from generation to generation. But a terrible thing happened in my life. My girlfriend had an abortion, I read a lot about it, you can check this info if you want. She did it without me, I didn't even know about it. For me it was a big blow. Now she can't have children and I don't know to whom I should now pass on my family's legacy. This is certainly not the main problem I was thinking about.

it is so great

Edited by CarolynParrU