• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

confused!?!?

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, once again I have a question that may seem a little trivia to you well seasoned coin collectors. I have recently purchased an 1888s Morgan For a steal I might add, I am wondering if any of you think it is worth sending in for grading? I do know this is a key date and mint mark but will it be more valuable if i get it graded? i apologize I'm pretty new at all this. I have attached two photos of the coin. I personally think its in great shape but the person who sent it to me sent it with another coin in the envelope and it cause a few new scratches (ugh) please give me some advice on the best way to move forward. (what would you do?) 

Screenshot_2020-01-08 (2 unread) - seanseim yahoo com - Yahoo Mail(1).png

Screenshot_2020-01-08 (2 unread) - seanseim yahoo com - Yahoo Mail.png

3 hours ago, History101 said:

(what would you do?) 

I would try to get my money back.

I am of the opinion that your coin is not real.

100 % fake  In the future when buying an expensive key date coin ask yourself why would anyone (especially someone you don't know) give you the deal of a lifetime.  The answer 99.999% of the time is something is wrong; there is a saying among collectors.  "There is no Santa Claus in numismatics"

5 hours ago, History101 said:

For a steal I might add

This is your downfall. I would recommend buying books instead of coins for a while.

25 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

This is your downfall. I would recommend buying books instead of coins for a while.

+1 - but then you guys probably assumed that.

36 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Are these posts some sort of tests?

I say "yes" and they have been for over 6 months now. They are counterfeiters testing OUR ability to detect the falseness of their work.

25 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I say "yes" and they have been for over 6 months now. They are counterfeiters testing OUR ability to detect the falseness of their work.

If you believe this is so, then which option do you recommend?

• ignore them?
  • offer no opinion, but just tell them to send it to NGC?
  • lie to them; tell them it's real and worth Big Bucks?
  • lie to them; tell them it's an excellent fake and will fool everyone?
  • tell them the truth anyway?
  • mock them for asking?
  • some other action/reply?

OMG, I can even tell that it is a fake. 

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

They me be trying to get insight of how you guys can tell it is a fake and try to refine their process. My guess. maybe just offer one simple, Fake. 

Edited by Dukemnm

29 minutes ago, JKK said:

If you believe this is so, then which option do you recommend?

• ignore them?
  • offer no opinion, but just tell them to send it to NGC?
  • lie to them; tell them it's real and worth Big Bucks?
  • lie to them; tell them it's an excellent fake and will fool everyone?
  • tell them the truth anyway?
  • mock them for asking?
  • some other action/reply?

I guess most people on here are choosing the"Mock" option. I purchased from on-line, I'm not a counterfeiter nor is this some kind of conspiracy or "test" as some say. I'm just learning and I realize I have to live and learn. Gotta take the good with the bad. As for the genuine opinions I thank you!

57 minutes ago, History101 said:

I purchased from on-line,

People who don't know a lot about coins need to STOP THIS!!! The reality is that Chinese fakes have FLOODED the online market, and numbering them is impossible. There are literally thousands of fakes out there for every real one. Does that make this hobby fun? No it does not. But there is a big coin show opening in Orlando tomorrow, and the prevalence of Chinese fakes will be on EVRYONE'S lips, but not their display cases, because "real" dealers don't touch that junk. Is it "inconvenient", compared to buying online, to buy in person? Yes, it is. Suck it up and do it anyway.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=that+isn't+the+way+this+works&src=IE-SearchBox&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dthat%2bisn't%2bthe%2bway%2bthis%2bworks%26src%3dIE-SearchBox%26FORM%3dIESR4A&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=AFC0D1B7944FFDF7C612AFC0D1B7944FFDF7C612&FORM=WRVORC

Edited by VKurtB

1 hour ago, History101 said:

I realize I have to live and learn

I'm guessing there isn't an "expert" on here who hasn't been burned in a coin deal. It's a tough lesson and there's no reason to rub your face in it. I hope your lesson wasn't too expensive (I'm guessing the seller is long gone).

Please folks, just go onto alibaba.com, type in the search word "coins" and you will instantly see Chinese companies making fakes like this OP's piece. Stop being so naïve and tolerant of this junk, or do you want to ruin the legitimate hobby? Is that your purpose? By the way, they also make compelling looking American Silver Eagles. We REALLY need to slap China about the head and shoulders tradewise. They're criminals.

Edited by VKurtB

Who's tolerating it? I don't see a whole lot of tolerating going on. I see fakes dismissed as fakes by the forum regular membership. As for those posting the pics, everyone who actually bought one of the fakes already has paid for it and it's too late to tell them not to buy it.