• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 D Jefferson Nickel - 6 full steps- Wheel Marks?

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this will also be classified as Wheel Marks?  I am looking for 6 Full Steps here, but you can notice slight marks on the reverse. 

There is also slight die cracks. I don't know if they are because of die deterioration the cracks are less visible or because they are the beginning of the die cracking. If any of what I just  said makes any sense. 

20200102_201817.jpg

20200102_201912.jpg

20200102_201945.jpg

20200102_201930.jpg

The reverse has some rough die cleaning showing in the fields. Your obverse seems to have a scratch at the date though (wheel mark at the sctatch?). MS65. Not really worth the risk of details grade since 65 6FS is rated $40 to $60. What you are seeing at 2 0 clock on reverse may be q tip or eraser work done to clean it in the past.

Edited by Six Mile Rick

Agreed with @Six Mile Rick's assessment.  I'm not seeing any wheel marks in the pics.  Overall, just a lot of detractors.  If you're looking for 6FS that's the year and mintmark to do it.  1943-D has, by far, the most 6FS examples slabbed by NGC.  So you'd also really need to stand out from the crowd which means grading 67 just to be on the declining side of the curve.  

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/nickels/25/

On 1/5/2020 at 3:31 AM, Six Mile Rick said:

The reverse has some rough die cleaning showing in the fields. Your obverse seems to have a scratch at the date though (wheel mark at the sctatch?). MS65. Not really worth the risk of details grade since 65 6FS is rated $40 to $60. What you are seeing at 2 0 clock on reverse may be q tip or eraser work done to clean it in the past.

Thank you for your input, I can see the die filing now and no, I don't want to risk details grade. it is heartbreaking. :D  Welp it goes into my poormans Full step collection. :D 

Wait, Can I even say it is fulls Steps? I mean they are pretty clear.