• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Kennedy Half dollar

9 posts in this topic

Should I have this coin graded and how does it work if I want to auction it do they take the payment out of the auction for the grading and everything or do I pay up front? Any advice on the possible grade of this coin?  Images are in the following link.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1F0vtPPaDWh8mgB9fr-8ON2K_14nKDFTF

No, you should not have the coin graded. Even as an uncirculated coin, it’s probably not worth more than face value. Also, auction houses have minimum values for consignments - typically at least a few thousand dollars.

It says 68+ is around 3,850 is it not high enough grade? And just for future reference if it was and I did decide to have it graded and auctioned do would the price come out of the auction or would I pay up front?

29 minutes ago, Kevin118 said:

It says 68+ is around 3,850 is it not high enough grade? And just for future reference if it was and I did decide to have it graded and auctioned do would the price come out of the auction or would I pay up front?

68+ is irrelevant, as the coin wouldn’t grade nearly that high. What do MS63, MS64 and MS65 examples list at and what do they actually typically actually sell for? You also need to take grading and postage fees into account.

You will usually have to pay for grading up front. However, depending upon the consignment, auction houses sometimes handle the grading submission and deduct the fee from the auction proceeds. 

if you were even looking at values for an MS68+, you’re not being realistic or displaying adequate grading skills. Did you check the population reports and see what percentage of such coins have graded 67, 68 and higher?

I’m not trying to give you a hard time. But I am trying to save you from throwing money away and from experiencing big disappointments.

Edited by MarkFeld

Do you have any idea what it would take to get a 68+ on a coin that was never even in a mint set? There were none in 1982 or 1983. You are suggesting you have essentially a PERFECT (in any rational sense of the word) 36-year-old coin that was distributed through the commercial banking system. Not likely.

1983 is my birth year so I put together a mint and proof birth year set.

As a point of reference (so you have something to compare yours to), here are my two 1983 MS halves. Normally I wouldn't have sent coins like this in for grading, I would just buy them in the grade I wanted, but this set was built from a collection of coins my dad saved for me, so there's way more sentimental value than financial value.

The P is graded NGC MS 65:

942417410_USA-50HalfDollar-1983-PKennedyMSTwoUp.thumb.jpg.4cd5867dfe02b33e14a02f6725043c46.jpg

And the D is graded NGC MS 66: (the back of the slab is a little scuffed up between 8 and 10 o'clock)

497488053_USA-50HalfDollar-1983-DKennedyMSTwoUp.thumb.jpg.03992470383b17d0afe89bb879d1030a.jpg

Edited by Lastufka Collection

25 minutes ago, Kevin118 said:

Oh no I understand and. I am completely new to coin collecting just looking through the different sites I really have no idea and appreciate the help

It can be exciting to see a common coin listed somewhere for a four figure price, and it gives one the feeling that they can "strike it rich with pocket change," but you have to bear in mind that A) a price list is merely a guideline, usually giving retail price or higher (what you could expect to PAY for a coin, not what you could SELL the coin for). B) Higher priced coins are usually those that are considered rare - either in total numbers minted, total numbers believed to still exist, or "condition rarity," which is the number believed to exist in the highest state of preservation. C) The odds of finding any of these types of rarities in circulation are exceedingly low.

There is an old saying in Numismatics: "Buy the book before the coin." It means acquire adequate knowledge (and preferably NOT from the internet, which is full of self-promoters, scammers, and liars) before you start spending money on coins - or for that matter, coin grading.

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

It can be exciting to see a common coin listed somewhere for a four figure price, and it gives one the feeling that they can "strike it rich with pocket change," but you have to bear in mind that A) a price list is merely a guideline, usually giving retail price or higher (what you could expect to PAY for a coin, not what you could SELL the coin for). B) Higher priced coins are usually those that are considered rare - either in total numbers minted, total numbers believed to still exist, or "condition rarity," which is the number believed to exist in the highest state of preservation. C) The odds of finding any of these types of rarities in circulation are exceedingly low.

There is an old saying in Numismatics: "Buy the book before the coin." It means acquire adequate knowledge (and preferably NOT from the internet, which is full of self-promoters, scammers, and liars) before you start spending money on coins - or for that matter, coin grading.

I wish there were a way to make this post above required reading for all users.