• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2009 New York Error

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

My apologies I advance for asking about yet another error coin Question, I have spent countless hours researching and am still undecided ....

I can’t tell if the marks are scratches or from the mint. If they are from mint what type of error. I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you.

sorting through a major coin collection, I’m sure that I will have more questions but after I have more experience ..... I will return the favor with other newbies 

C79D7EC6-7F58-4249-A1CE-8CE4FD36ADE7.jpeg

07529574-970C-43D5-B3FE-6F89B8F8A7E4.jpeg

E603284E-24FA-40EC-B221-7D55F4294CD6.jpeg

6D881EA5-898F-4749-A766-358D479B5434.jpeg

60992F32-5293-45DB-B31F-0838EF64866F.jpeg

Just my opinion, and I have a lot to learn. Looks like it's been srtuck by another coin. The second looks like it could be cud but not sure. Others may have better answers for you

On 12/30/2019 at 7:38 AM, Conder101 said:

From what I'm seeing the rev looks like Post Strike Damage as well.

Thank you, I’m still learning and it’s really difficult to tell sometimes. I’m going through a phase where I think everything is a cud ... :)

14 hours ago, Chipher said:

Thank you, I’m still learning and it’s really difficult to tell sometimes. I’m going through a phase where I think everything is a cud ... :)

Seemingly every new collector these days goes through that phase. In the old days, we didn't. Beginning collectors and errors just didn't go together then. (1960's)

That is true, of course in the 60's you could still get wheat cents, buffalo nickels, silver coins possible even the occasional barber coins, and if you were lucky some of the semi key coins in change or rolls from the bank.  Today, with the possible exception of some early Jefferson nickels and eraly Lincoln memorials, the beginner isn't going to find anything before 1965.  And if you ignore errors and varieties, the most challenging thing to find from 65 to date is probably going to be the 68 to 74 S mint cents.  The beiginner can put together a date and mint set of cents through quarters form 65 to date in just a few days.  Then what is he going to look for?  He is still just a beginner, in many cases a young collector who doesn't have any money to speak of.  So going back and buying the older coins is prerrty much out of the question.  So what are they going to do to keep their interest up until that point in time where they do have some extra disposable income to buy the older coins?

They gravitate to the one area where there is still a chance of finding something in pocket change.  The field of errors and varieties.

… which precisely why my "reading to buying" ratio was so wonderfully high until I did have disposable income. I have the same sets these guys CAN BE assembling now and I enjoyed the bejabbers out of finding the best examples of each coin in each set. I still maintain my modern "sets" with coins pulled from uncirculated sets and proof sets today. When they come out, I buy them. If I hadn't, I STILL would not have seen any of the 2019 quarters.