• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Estimate for all 3
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Sorry but what you have is three damaged nickels worth a total of fifteen cents.

Don't believe everything you read on a website. Most of these "valuable coin" stories are just made up to take advantage of unsuspecting newcomers. If you have a coin you think is an error, post a picture of both sides on this forum and someone will be able to help you determine whether it is or not.

Remember though, it is only an error if it happens during the striking of the coin, anything else that happens after that is just damage.

The mint does not punch the numerals of the date into the die or hub by hand any more, and has not done so for many years. In order for there to be a coin with an overdate of 2014/2013/2017 one of two scenarios would have to occur.

#1 A  mint employee in 2013 saves an obverse die from being defaced, and hides it away. The following year, the same employee saves a 2014 dated obverse die, and hides it with the 2013 that he hid last year. Three years later, the employee removes the 2013 die from hiding, replaces the 2017 die currently in the press with his 2013, takes a freshly minted 2017 nickel, places it very precisely in the collar, so that every detail of the coin and new die line up exactly, (we are talking about precision down to the micron here, since your coin shows NO evidence of having been double-struck on the portrait or "Liberty") and strikes the coin with the 2013 die. He then removes the 2013 die, replaces it with the 2014 die, using the same meticulous precision, and strikes the coin one more time. The coin has now been struck three times in a coin press, using full pressure, and shows no evidence of the extra strikes, other than a confusing looking date.

#2 A mint employee takes a 2017 nickel, travels back in time to 2013, strikes the nickel with the 2013 die, then either travels forward a year, or just hangs around in the past until the new dies are made, and strikes the coin with a 2014 die. Whether he stayed in 2014 and relived the next three years, or traveled back to the future does not really matter, but at some point, he either placed the coin in circulation, or beat the tar out of it, in order to, I suppose, cause further confusion on the part of whomever found the coin.

I'm going back to work now....

Edited by Just Bob

10 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

#2 A mint employee takes a 2017 nickel, travels back in time to 2013, strikes the nickel with the 2013 die, then either travels forward a year, or just hangs around in the past until the new dies are made, and strikes the coin with a 2014 die. Whether he stayed in 2014 and relived the next three years, or traveled back to the future does not really matter, but at some point, he either placed the coin in circulation, or beat the tar out of it, in order to, I suppose, cause further confusion on the part of whomever found the coin.

I'm going back to work now....

I think this the likelier scenario.

I appreciate all you guys opinion but remember they are the u.s. mint / US Government / the government can do whatever they want to do they tell us that they're not stepping no more but how do you know if the net dentist doing it by hand just saying but I just hold on to these coins until we see what happens in the future

1 minute ago, GilbertRowland said:

I appreciate all you guys opinion but remember they are the u.s. mint / US Government / the government can do whatever they want to do they tell us that they're not stepping no more but how do you know if the net dentist doing it by hand just saying but I just hold on to these coins until we see what happens in the future

One more thing the 13 in the 14 to 14 has identical markings 213 so how can it not be so tell me that how they both got the same markings but the 13 was the first one to be damaged the 14 comes to fix the 13 with the same markings almost until they finally get it right tell me that

5 minutes ago, GilbertRowland said:

One more thing the 13 in the 14 to 14 has identical markings 213 so how can it not be so tell me that how they both got the same markings but the 13 was the first one to be damaged the 14 comes to fix the 13 with the same markings almost until they finally get it right tell me that

Tell you what? I have no idea what you were trying to say in that paragraph. If you can explain yourself more clearly, preferably with proper punctuation, I will be happy to try to answer your questions.

1 minute ago, Just Bob said:

Tell you what? I have no idea what you were trying to say in that paragraph. If you can explain yourself more clearly, preferably with proper punctuation, I will be happy to try to answer your questions.

Sorry I speak to text and I do get over-excited so which saying 2013 coin place to fix the 2017 coin that turn into a disaster so you coming to the 2014 to fix the second disaster and they did their disaster they finally got it right with the 2013-14 my main question of that paragraphs is if you look at the coins you can see they have almost the same exact Pitbull markings look at the right eye I'm both coins for example so how can it be that somebody has beat the tar out of these coins and I just happened to get both of them three different days it is mind-blowing for me and I'm looking for an expert opinions and you guys don't see that no offense please just look at the coins analyzing for me it's tell me what you think their don't look at them thinking that it damage cuz if they're not damaged by Mint error yes thank you just Bob really thank you

Just now, Just Bob said:

Sorry. I guess I am just dense. I still have no clue what you are asking. I think I should step aside and let someone else take this one.

Okay Bob no problem but if you just blow pictures up you can see the seven under third number on the 2013 and you can see them 3 under the 3rd number in new 2014

Its your fifteen cents so you can imagine that you see anything you want but no one else save you sees anything other than damaged nickels, myself included.  But heck save those coins and at least you will always have $.15 to your name.

18 hours ago, GilbertRowland said:

they tell us that they're not stepping no more

I, for one, lamented the decision by the government to do away with their Step Team.  I thought we had a chance to bring home gold in the next event.  Even if S. Korea has really been stepping it up (bad pun intended) with their pop factory expansion.

41 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

I, for one, lamented the decision by the government to do away with their Step Team.  I thought we had a chance to bring home gold in the next event.  Even if S. Korea has really been stepping it up (bad pun intended) with their pop factory expansion.

Given the Irish history of step dancing, I would have assumed they were the favorites and that everyone else could just smoke it.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

Given the Irish history of step dancing, I would have assumed they were the favorites and that everyone else could just smoke it.

I'll have to look into how far the Irish history goes back further than Riverdance when it came on the scene in '94.  Growing up close to Norfolk State University mentioning step teams elicits a completely different vision in my mind's eye though.  Stepping in the African-American community goes back to the early 1900's it seems.