• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 silver wheat penney

9 posts in this topic

Welcome to The Forum. While it is impossible to make an accurate assessment based solely on one small picture of the reverse, it is likely that your coin is either plated,  or it is a normal cent that has become discolored. It would be extremely unlikely for it to have been struck on a silver planchet.

Do you have any way to get an accurate weight of the coin in grams?

Sorry

I about putting only one side on. here is a few different pictures. On the one picture I put a silver dine and some wheat pennies to show the different. it does not feel like a plated coin and it not discolored. when I found it in the bag of pennies I first thought it was a dine until I look at it real close. thanks for any help you can give me I just don't see anything on this

3.jpg

1.jpg

Image[22568404].jpeg

here some better pictures. from left to right first one is a metal, copper, silver, copper and I don't know. it look like the silver dime. I weight it and  some copper pennies and they were close to the same weight

4.jpg

5.jpg

Well, you weighed it and it came out similar to a copper penny. That makes sense, because that's what it is, underneath whatever plating or patination (mercury, perhaps) has been done to this ordinary coin.

It may have been a high school lab experiment back then. They used to do this coating them with Mercury. 

These show up on the various Coin Forums quite often as there are literally hundreds of them out there.