• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heading to London Thursday
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Will be touring the British Royal Mint on 5 December and attending the Bloomsbury Coin Fair on 7 December with NGC UK in attendance. Any other advice for numismatically related things to see or experience? Arrive in London on 29 November, then circling Great Britain by rail - Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Cardiff, London.

Sounds like a great trip. Would love to tour the Royal Mint. The rail is also a fun and easy way to travel. While a bit out of your way - I'd like to make a stop at Chards. But that's just me and becuse I've never had the chance to visit their shop. Dealt with them - but not face to face.

Thanks for that suggestion. We are renting a car out of Liverpool one day and Blackpool isn't far off.

If it was me, I might try to see one of the many coin hordes if it was along the route. A lot of them seem to be housed in smaller local museums, but I have no idea how they are displayed.

My wife and I spent a few weeks in London this past summer. It is a fantastic city with such a rich history. In addition to what is listed above, I would recommend checking out the Tower of London. There is an old Mint exhibit there that is pretty interesting. The British Museum also has a display of money that includes some unique pieces. 

If you want to do a little shopping, I would suggest checking out either Sovereign Rarities or Baldwins. 

Sovereign Rarities has an impressive selection of British coins, but I’m not sure about anything else. The lady who helped me was super friendly, and she took the time to show me coins that were way over my budget. We had an excellent conversation about circulated pattern pieces, and I got to examine some stunning coins. I can not recommend them enough. 

At first, I was a bit disappointed with Baldwins. They have a main showroom downstairs that is scarcely populated with “meh” generic coins. The good stuff is all upstairs in the coin cabinets. If you talk to whoever is running the showroom, they can buzz you upstairs to meet with a numismatist that can tailor your shopping experience to your interest. I worked with a gentleman named Chris, whom I can not recommend enough. He is a fellow copper enthusiast, and we had an excellent conversation about a range of topics. I’m not sure what you would be looking for, but both stores will provide some beautiful “eye candy” that you might find tempting. 

Of course, there are other shops like Coincraft in London. If I remember correctly, there is also a small shop across from Baldwins. I found most of the small local shops disappointing. They mostly seemed to deal in bullion, which I have no interest in  

I hope you have an excellent trip! If you would like restaurant recommendations or anything along those lines, please feel free to send me a message. 

Edited by coinsandmedals

Have a safe drive! Remember to switch lanes half-way across the Atlantic.

The British Museum has what many consider the finest collection of coins and medals in the world. Unfortunately, they do not have any free samples.

53 minutes ago, RWB said:

The British Museum has what many consider the finest collection of coins and medals in the world. Unfortunately, they do not have any free samples.

We're planning a massive seat swap. LOL!

12 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Dave Regan in Southport....

I'm totally in...have a blast...with media these days I'm sure there's more on Facebook or an Auction house....Adam Partridge or Davenport, Scotty Bluffs?

Yes, except I refuse to even have a Facebook account. Too much anti-privacy creepiness there. Mr. Zuckerberg can go pound sand.

Just now, VKurtB said:

Yes, except I refuse to even have a Facebook account. Too much anti-privacy creepiness there. Mr. Zuckerberg can go pound sand.

Facebook has been caught selling everyone's info....I dropped them myself awhile back...Little boy Liberal anti-gun owner but has a security detachment team packing Automatic weapons....just like his kind.....

Good luck on the trip.....if I'm even here after this....

5 minutes ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

Facebook has been caught selling everyone's info....I dropped them myself awhile back...Little boy Liberal anti-gun owner but has a security detachment team packing Automatic weapons....just like his kind.....

Good luck on the trip.....if I'm even here after this....

My eyes will be on acquiring a nice older Maundy set, if I can find one I like.

• Administrator
On 11/25/2019 at 2:35 PM, RWB said:

I second the British Museum coin exhibit and it is a short walk from our London Office as well as the Bloomsbury show. My colleagues would be more than happy to provide samples at the events in which they attend. 

Wow - sounds like a wonderful trip. It also sounds like you picked up some very nice pieces for your collection. Can't wait to hear what you do on your next visit.