• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 Nickel

9 posts in this topic

Sitting here going through some of my nickels when I ran into this 1942 didnt think much of it but as I continued to stroll through I began to ponder why was something bringing me back to this 42? It must be something however I clearly don't have a clue so if anyone can help me with this I would truly appreciate it thanks!20191103_123530.thumb.jpg.45d55ee36d535d2e46b5881337de9cad.jpg

20191103_123536.jpg

21 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Looks like a normal well circulated nickel to me. Not sure if that is a ding or a die chip on the reverse but it is nothing significant. What do you see that I don't?

Well after doing a little research looks to me as if it could possibly be a 1942S?I just recently took a couple of more pictures that I am about to post20191103_122933.thumb.jpg.54e09381f7e97988c7602274f6b7ad52.jpg

4 hours ago, tejas1836 said:

I believe all the 42 S nickels were war nickels with the mint mark about Monticello. The Redbook isn't showing any 42 S non silver nickels being minted.

That is exactly my point!

Good morning fellow Jefferson collectors'  [ an just to let you all know' its been many years since I've visited here' so pls bear with me.]   Noticing Mason254 post' about the 1942 Jefferson? It looks like a type I  1942   where very few were minted'  I'm leaving my url  for you to visit- describing it more in detail,,,,  I hope that this eliminates any problems about this coin.   James G. Berline  /    (   https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1227668  )

16 hours ago, James G. Berline said:

Good morning fellow Jefferson collectors'  [ an just to let you all know' its been many years since I've visited here' so pls bear with me.]   Noticing Mason254 post' about the 1942 Jefferson? It looks like a type I  1942   where very few were minted'  I'm leaving my url  for you to visit- describing it more in detail,,,,  I hope that this eliminates any problems about this coin.   James G. Berline  /    (   https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1227668 )

Thank you Sir!

On 11/3/2019 at 3:38 PM, tejas1836 said:

I believe all the 42 S nickels were war nickels with the mint mark about Monticello.

There is one 1942 S known with the small S to the right of the building. And if I remember correctly it is on a silver planchet.

I do not believe the OP coin has an S mint mark.  The mintmark on the one known coin is sharp and clear.