• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Slab doubling" - just for fun!

4 posts in this topic

*For entertainment only*

I get a kick out of this image I happened to catch. I scratched my head for a minute, then realized that the letters reflected off the inside of the case, then back off the coin into the camera lens. Thought it might be entertaining to post on a boring Sunday.

Slab_doubling_zoom.jpg

"Slab Doubling" is one of those unspoken problems common to coin collecting. Here's what happens: When coin slabs are stored too close together, such as in those plastic boxes, they emit gaseous pheromones. Once the lights are off and the box lid is tightly closed, the pheromones build up. This makes the girl-slabs and the boy-slabs "frisky" and the resulst -- well, to be polite, we call it "Slab Doubling" rather than some other more colorful term.

So...there you have it.

:)

8 hours ago, RWB said:

"Slab Doubling" is one of those unspoken problems common to coin collecting. Here's what happens: When coin slabs are stored too close together, such as in those plastic boxes, they emit gaseous pheromones. Once the lights are off and the box lid is tightly closed, the pheromones build up. This makes the girl-slabs and the boy-slabs "frisky" and the resulst -- well, to be polite, we call it "Slab Doubling" rather than some other more colorful term.

So...there you have it.

:)

I wondered why I keep outgrowing my boxes.