• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1954s Wheat Pennies

7 posts in this topic

I have over 20 1954 and 56 S,D &P Pennies 

They were owned by a dealer and now I have them  

I've read a bunch and am looking at the extra fine coins. I think mine are very good and they are quite nice. I joined for grading them but I wanted reality check first. Can anyone help me with this and a little advice please.  Locally I'm stumped for help. 

Thanks

Kevin

20191031_170917.jpg

Ok

20 is more like 200+ and there is a roll of 1957's from Mellon Bank and Trust Pittsburgh looking very good. There are a similar number of coins that don't have the luster of the first I posted. 

I just don't know what the normal is yet. I will get a couple grades to see. 

If anyone can help me with a little advice I thank you in advance. 

I assume the roll is like unopened Chrome Cards. You trade the unknown value away on opening  - so you have to make a nice find to recover?  Or ?

I definitely wouldn't have just dumped them on a hard surface, like what appears to be wood. I also wouldn't be handling them with bare fingers, in case that has been done. Not because they are probably of value (they probably aren't worth much; those issues are recent and common), but because fingermarking them and subjecting them to surface abrasion are excellent ways to help keep the potential for value down to a minimum. Can't have it both ways: either they have potential for Great Value, in which case every single one must be treated with due caution, or they do not, and it matters less whether one just scattered them on a table.

A quick check of my magazine says that they have to hit MS-67 Red to be of major value. So now what you're up against is trying, without pawing skin oil onto them or inflicting the tiniest additional scratch or ding or nick, to see whether any can meet the standards for that rarefied grade. As a rule, a coin grading MS-67 will look flawless to untrained eyes. I don't very often look at coins that grade that high, so I'm going from references when I say that what keeps it from a higher grade is that of its few miniscule flaws, at least one is in a prime focal area.

Thank you. They went straight to the coin holders as soon as I understood what they were. This is just one of the rolls the others are still in the plastic tubes. The 1957 roll has not been opened at all.

One of your biggest potential issues is how they abrade each other in the tubes. Some of that will have already happened simply from handling the rolls. Until each is segregated and protected, as you describe with the holders, that will continue each time they are moved.