• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

92 d penny
1 1

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Yesterday I was at my neighborhood "fancy shmancy" upscale urban grocery, and I was paying with Apple Pay from my checking account, when I noticed the aforementioned "give a penny, take a penny" bin on the counter. It was packed with what was probably the most gorgeous brand new cents I've ever seen! I'm going back today an paying cash and going to be a cent or two short and see what they are.

These arent new, but 2 of my favorites. Especially the 77

20191029_100512.jpg

20191029_100432.jpg

Edited by Tridmn

On 10/28/2019 at 12:56 PM, KarenHolcomb said:

Ooohhhmmmmmm.....3x. All of you. Right now. Lol!

@Tridmn if you're looking at 2019's be sure to look for the ones without a neck. They are calling them the 'floating head'. 

Is this what you are referring to, coat touching his hair?

20191030_235223.jpg

On 10/29/2019 at 10:41 AM, Dukemnm said:

Do it, Maybe Post the best looking one from the bunch and maybe say what grade you think it is. I am quite curious and would be a good learning opportunity to hone our grading skills. :D

On 10/29/2019 at 9:45 AM, VKurtB said:

Yesterday I was at my neighborhood "fancy shmancy" upscale urban grocery, and I was paying with Apple Pay from my checking account, when I noticed the aforementioned "give a penny, take a penny" bin on the counter. It was packed with what was probably the most gorgeous brand new cents I've ever seen! I'm going back today an paying cash and going to be a cent or two short and see what they are.

You wouldn't dare? Lol! Heck, I check the bowl each time I'm in Hobart and take all the coppers.

8 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

You wouldn't dare? Lol! Heck, I check the bowl each time I'm in Hobart and take all the coppers.

Scroll up and look at the 77 I posted.

Doesn't really matter since it is just the result of an over polished die.  Happens in a lot of years, probably all of them and probably at both mints.  Not something I'd pay more than a quarter for, and I'd be hard pressed to pay that much.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, Dukemnm said:

Is it only the Philadelphia mint? we don't very many Philly's in the west coast. mostly Denver mint. 

Idk? I guess it's about who's into what. I found one sold on Pic Click in August for $26. Not too bad. Found several sold on ebay but idk what they sold for. So i guess it's like any other error, ie the 1-legged buffalo Nickel or the extra cactus AZ Quarter, it'll either be a hit or it won't, but it is still selling for quite mark up.

I've often said that the "classic" method of error/variety collecting bears little resemblance to the more modern way that subspecialty is being practiced, and whether the new way works out or not financially depends on how much "demand" for them that can be stirred up.