• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50 Pesos 1945 Mexico, grading help

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering whether this 50 Pesos would get a straight grade due to slight scratches that are visible below the winged liberty's foot. Also I'm not entirely sure if the coins is unc, because of the wreath's look. I would like to hear your thoughts about the aformentioned problems.

1--50-peso-1945-rok.JPG

2--50-peso-1945-rok.JPG

Keep in mind that gold coins do usually come graded more forgiving of bag marks / contact marks. This one should be a fairly stout grader. The obverse "baggy" central elements are more likely pre-strike areas not fully struck into the deepest recesses of the die. The eagle side is clearly the superior of the two.

Edited by VKurtB

The only reason to consider slabbing this is for authenticity purposes.  It is not a really high grade piece, so raw it is bullion, slabbed it is bullion even if counterfeit if the gold content is right it is bullion.  So all you would be doing by having it slabbed and taking about $50 of the money you would get by selling it for bullion and giving it to the TPG.