• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got rolls of Susan b Anthony coins in a will

3 posts in this topic

My great grandfather had got about 6 rolls of Susan b Anthony coins uncirculated and has had them in a saftey deposit box for me when I got older. Finally deciding to get them out of the box tomorrow. What should I expect? Will they all be from the same mint? Should I unroll them and what steps should I take for appraisal?

For circulated SBA's, you need to start by looking for 1979-P examples on which the date sits nearly on the segmented inner edge, like the 1980 dates are. They are only on the Philly variety, not the Denver or San Francisco. They are called either "Wide Rim" or "Near Date" 1979-P. They bring a nice premium.

Edited by VKurtB

After that, set aside the very nicest ones not the rarer type for inclusion in one roll of the best of the best. The lesser ones truly are "spenders". If you get extraordinarily lucky, you may end up with whole rolls of Wide Rim coins.

Edited by VKurtB