• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Silver Eagle Series questions (Proof, Uncirculated, Burnished, and Bullion)

6 posts in this topic

Good morning fellow coin collectors,

I am trying to figure out the difference between the burnished silver eagles and the regular uncirculated silver eagles.

I have been collecting the silver eagle coins for a while now, and always buy the proof versions from the mint when they are released in OGP.  I have also bought the graded coins as well in PF70 Ultra Cameo.  When I decided to purchase a 2019 MS 70 version of the silver eagle, I was expecting to get one with the W mint mark thinking that it was from the West point mint where the uncirculated coins are made.  However, I got one that was MS70 with no mint mark.  Do i have a bullion piece that is graded at MS70 or were they uncirculated coins with no mint mark made?

Am I correct in thinking that there are three versions of the Silver Eagles for the year 2019: Proof, Uncirulated (W mint mark), and burnished?

Thanks

Matt

2019 SILVER EAGLE MS70.jpg

You are correct, there are three versions.

The version you have is the regular  BU version with no Mint mark which I would assume you paid around $30.00 for.

The coins with a W or S mintmark are the proof version with a PF designation and have a cameo relief on a mirror background and cost around $65.00.

The burnished version which has a W mint mark  has a SP designation with a polished relief on a burnished background and cost around$100.00.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

22 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

You are correct, there are three versions.

The version you have is the regular  BU version with no Mint mark which I would assume you paid around $30.00 for.

The coins with a W or S mintmark are the proof version with a PF designation and have a cameo relief on a mirror background and cost around $65.00.

The burnished version which has a W mint mark  has a SP designation with a polished relief on a burnished background and cost around$100.00.

Thank you for the great information and response.  I think I will stick to buying the proof versions of this series since I got snookered and paid more than the $30 for the bullion piece

Matt 

19 hours ago, Greenstang said:

This is incorrect, that description would be for a "reverse proof"

The burnished silver eagles are Mint state pieces (not proofs) that have a "whiter" finish then the bullion coins and the burnished coins have a W mintmark, the bullion coins have no mintmark.