• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Scopes

4 posts in this topic

Have never used a scope and never will, I consider them overkill. You only need something that is 10x, that's all the graders use. If you can't see something at that power, then it is too small to have any significance.

My personal choice is a Hastings Triplet Loupe. Bausch & Lomb and Eschenbach both make good quality ones.

This is only my opinion and I'm sure there are scope fans who want to see the slightest detail out there that will disagree.

Greenstang, where I benefit from a microscope (not sure about an endoscope; don't own one) is to examine for cleaning evidence, get a closer look at residue, and in some cases confirm or reject variety information such as RPMs. Sometimes when I can't get the picture at 10x, 30x can make a big difference. It might also be that you just have better vision and don't need the assistance.

Please folks, let's just stop it with the scopes; I implore you. That's not how this hobby is done. 5x magnification is all you need.