• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 Lincoln cent

8 posts in this topic

That is "wood grain" toning, caused by improper mixing of the copper and zinc alloy used to make the planchet. When the sheets are rolled out, it creates streaks or other patterns, that are popular with some collectors.

I kind of wonder. I see the thinking, but the pattern seems a little too consistent for the normal woodgrain look. Most of the woodgrain I see has highlights that stayed lighter, rather than ones that grew much darker. Not saying it definitely isn't, but am saying I would like to see it under a microscope where one could perhaps assess whether the dark stripes are some form of crudulation from contact with something (evidently nothing abrasive, rule that out), or whether they are baked into the metal.

2 hours ago, JKK said:

I kind of wonder. I see the thinking, but the pattern seems a little too consistent for the normal woodgrain look. Most of the woodgrain I see has highlights that stayed lighter, rather than ones that grew much darker. Not saying it definitely isn't, but am saying I would like to see it under a microscope where one could perhaps assess whether the dark stripes are some form of crudulation from contact with something (evidently nothing abrasive, rule that out), or whether they are baked into the metal.

635C518B-BE5C-41B9-9F67-05B98A3BBC5F.jpeg