• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Added to my NGC Registry set today.

10 posts in this topic

I remember your posting this ats, really great coin and its awesome that its going into another fantastic collection.  I do remember getting a chuckle reading all the replies to your thread on PCGS about how you should be crossing it lol; so much Kool-Aid over there.  Its nice to see someone else who can enjoy the coins they own without the need for "the right" plastic brand.

As a side note I can certainly relate to your feelings on completing a long set.  I bought the final coin to complete my 09-58 Lincoln set about two years ago, a tough 25-S that is in a PCGS holder so alas my registry set will never look complete.  That brought a great feeling of satisfaction but also a weird let down feeling as I am a set builder and now have no set to build.  So for the past two years I've bought a few coins to fill out a couple of year sets I had started but its been weird not being on the chase anymore.

Edited by Coinbuf

@Coinbuf Thanks!  Congratulations to you, as well, on completing your Lincoln set.  That is certainly a difficult task and a huge undertaking.  Some really tough and rare coin dates in that set and it is certainly lengthy.  I bet you feel real good!  I won't have that problem of feeling a compulsion to build a set after I complete my Walkers.  I will be buying Standing Liberty quarters and Morgans.  I also like Franklins and Peace dollars, which are a lot less challenging, unless of course, you're going for high grade coins with superb color, which I am not.  It will be much more laid-back and enjoyable, because I won't feel pressured to achieve or complete anything monumental.  I'll just buy what I like or maybe try to do a one-per-date set, which is more realistic and noncommittal than attempting to build another complete full set of classic rarities.

Edited by Walkerfan

Nice pick-up.  I know what you mean about being close to completing a set and the drive it takes to do it. I also know the feeling that other sets that are in progress will be at a more relaxed pace. You have a very nice collection and I also like the holder. Congrats.

nice coinwalkerfan, I love the look!! I'm glad your not a kool aid drinker. I see so many great coins and the first thing I always read is "should I cross it over or "will it upgrade".
I'm glad you enjoy the coin, I'm also like you but with world coins, I'm not immediately thinking if the coin will upgrade or look better in another slab, I bought the coin because I like it, need it, etc.

Looks like a superb accurately graded coin with that never dipped luster to me. Nice catch since sounds like you were waiting for it. If you don't mind me asking has your set put you in a squeeze financially over the years? I'll admit my set has pinched me here and there but have no reservations whatsoever.

7 hours ago, numisport said:

Looks like a superb accurately graded coin with that never dipped luster to me. Nice catch since sounds like you were waiting for it. If you don't mind me asking has your set put you in a squeeze financially over the years? I'll admit my set has pinched me here and there but have no reservations whatsoever.

Yes, that's one of the things that I really like about this coin is that the luster is superb.  I like good luster and there's nothing worse than a coin with dead surfaces.  I hadn't really been looking for a 21 P, until about a year ago. I was too busy buying my 21d and my 19d, which came to me out of the blue.  This coin also came out of the blue, as I never expected that I would be able to buy a 65, much less one from a long-standing, old-time registry set.  I feel very fortunate.

I know my limit financially with the coins.  I'm not stupid, as I have a lot of other Investments and take care of all my other bills first.  Coins are important to me but they are secondary.  I have stretched to buy a coin, on a few occasions, but never to a point where I had to sacrifice anything else or put myself in financial peril.  Like I said in my OP--things have just worked out for me.  Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good.  But I have been at this for a very long time and anything worthwhile takes a lot of time.  Persistence and perseverance are key, also, and I am just about reaching the finish line. 

One thing I've learned is that you can't really search for a specific coin.  If you do you'll never find it but others that you need but you're not really looking for present themselves and, when they do, you have to move on them or you will lose.  I thank God that I've been able to act when the time was appropriate.  Life is all about timing and, sometimes, you have to just make your own luck.  It is a huge labor of love for me, so putting forth the effort is something I really enjoy, so that makes it much easier. 

Thanks for the comment and I agree with you, as I have no regrets.

Edited by Walkerfan