• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1935 buffalo nickel ddr???

6 posts in this topic

No matter what I do I can't seem to find a doubled die.  They seem to all look the same even under a microscope camera.  Most of the time they just look fat and not doubled.  I also try to look for the notches which someone told me to do that but still most DD's are not easy to see.  So can you tell me if this is a doubled die on this buffalo nickel below?  A friend had two rolls of buffalo nickels from her dad that she asked me to look at.  This particular nickel stood out very vividly and I just wanted to see if it was a DDR.  Thanks for your help.

buffalo nickel DDR 1935.png

buffalo nickel 1935 ddr.png

Have you ever stopped to ask yourself why you care so much about finding a doubled die coin? I mean really ask yourself. If it's financial reward, I'm afraid that won't happen, unless it's one of the truly famous ones. In my opinion, and I've been active in the hobby for 56 years now, you'd do much better to forget about doubled dies and concentrate on the most perfect coins you can find. Doubled dies are a weird kind of fetish right now, that's all.

So you think I should change my direction and start looking at finding perfect coins.  I always try to save back a roll of coins for each year.  I have never tried to find the perfect coin when they first come out because I don't feel competent to grade the coins.  A month ago I got two boxes of pennies at the bank and brought them home and they were both filled with 2019 pennies (over 5,000 all total).  So what would you do with these.  Would you bring them back to the bank, or go through all of them trying to find the perfect 2019 penny,  or would you save a couple of rolls back and turn in the rest???  I wish I had this luck when I was getting quarters this year.  I would love to find west point quarters.  So far to be honest I first got into collecting because of the beauty and history of the coins and then I learned about error coins and started to get into the thrill of the hunt.  Now I just like doing a combination of both.  I'm retired so an extra few dollars can help now and then.

Okay, so basically I can't relate to what you do because I've never been a Coin Roll Hunter. I've never done it even once. I "hunt" the change I get in everyday normal commerce. So far, I've only even SEEN four 2019 cents. But I do get fully red cents dating back to the 1960's and 1970's nearly every week.

Edited by VKurtB