• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do cuds add value to a coin?

7 posts in this topic

Not a cud, a die chip.  To be considered a "cud" it has to involve the rim of the coin.

Does it increase the value?  Yes a little.  This is probably a 5 cent item without the die chip and maybe 50 cents to a dollar retail with it, as a minor error.

Edited by Conder101

Many of the coins that are posted on this forum are not real errors. Since this is an actual error, and not a beat-up, damaged coin, I get to finally say: "Cool find!"

Welcome to the forum.

I have several coins just like the one pictured. I had ordered two boxes ( $200. ) of nickels. When I opened them up I discovered that every ender

is a 2019. My intend was to find older nickels, so this was a big disappointment. Every coin is a 2019 P so far. Then I saw a video showing a double die on a 2019 nickel, so that's

what I was looking for. As a result to date I have about twenty coins just like the one pictured. About twenty-five percent of one box has been examined.

I have yet to open box number two. I am brand new at this, and learning new things everyday.

This is the first time I heard of the steps, like I said this is all new to me. If the coins that are viewed don't have a die cast or double die

should I still collect the ones with the good steps?

1 hour ago, jetsmell said:

This is the first time I heard of the steps, like I said this is all new to me. If the coins that are viewed don't have a die cast or double die

should I still collect the ones with the good steps?

Grab a cup of coffee and read these articles by NGC researcher and author David Lange:

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading-guide/Grading-Jefferson-Five-Cents.aspx

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6752/learn-grading-full-steps-nickels/