• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DDO or machine doubling?

2 posts in this topic

Hello NGC,

I'm kinda confused on the DDO and machine doubling. I read on your page machine doubling will all be different but a recent video I watched he shows the difference in the DDO and machine doubling. He has the 1968s as an example. The crazy thing is my 1968s matchs his perfectly. If machine double does not create the exact copy like DDO why do the three 1968s all look exactly the same. I took a screen shot of the on in the video and a picture of mine. Please clear this up for me cause if someone is giving out incorrect information it needs to stop asap. I know on facebook some people do that to acquire the coins they desire. I ha e many questions but dont want to have to post on a forum everytime I have one. Is there direct contact to someone to send a few coins a week to have checked out? Thanks and please let me know something I really need to figure this out cause I have like 100 pds Penny's I'm sorting thru to help with depression. Will only allow one picture so I will send you mine. Thanks again

20190815_234550.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your coin does show strike doubling, or machine doubling, as it is also called. This is very common on S-Mint coins dated 1968-72.

The San Francisco Assay Office, as it was then called, was using old, hand-me-down presses that were put into service to handle the coin shortage crisis of 1964-65. These were worn and had some loose fittings that frequently resulted in strike doubling. Though the doubling was not in the die that made your cent, a similar effect could repeat in coins struck during a single press run.